Cheapest Carb for 1987 Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Surprisefelatio
Noob
Noob

Cheapest Carb for 1987 Spree

Post by Surprisefelatio »

I've been looking and looking and I can't seem to find all the specs I need to find the right replacement carb.

So, I have an 87 Spree I bought for $120 that wasn't running. I bought a new battery, cleaned the carb, replaced all gas and oil etc. made sure all electrical was good (had to fix some shoddy work). The brakes just needed some tlc and I replaced all the bulbs, even got an 85 spree on craigslist for $60 and was able to put on the blinkers and racks from it, plus an oil tank that didn't have putty on it, and a bunch of hardware that would have cost double what I paid. I was able to do all that by just observing on this forum (and my tinkering skills) so thank you guys a ton for your postings!

Got it running pretty well after all that and was able to take it to the store a few times. My plan has been to trade it for something bigger but I'm thinking of keeping it just for beach trips since it was so cheap for me to get it going and it won't have much maintenance. Then on my way to the store, my new baby just bogged down and felt like the belt was slipping. That wasn't the case though and I search for an answer. Everything was checked and is just fine except I still had my suspicions on the carburetor (it's not stock, the guy put on a Chinese one and it doesn't seem to have all the right parts like the bolts are not the correct ones.) Keep in mind, I bought this for $120. I took it apart and dumbass me lost a part to it. So I'm not really frustrated or anything as I expected a few set backs. Just want a brand new cheap carb to put in that I know from the beginning what's there and what's not.

I've done research, I've searched through all the specs I can find and I still come up short of a $80+ price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NQ50-Spre ... 2602530062

All this to bring up: Where can I find just the cheapest, best fit carburetor for a 1987 Honda Spree? or is this it? Help me hondaspree.net, you're my only hope.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Cheapest Carb for 1987 Spree

Post by Meatball »

For the best running stock Spree, the best carb to get is an OEM Carb and rebuild it with fresh internals. Gaskets, float needle, etc...otherwise, youll have never ending issues with replacement carbs.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yep, best route is either rebuild an OEM, or buy a Mikuni or Polini and use a CP adapter to make it work. No real shortcuts here.
Surprisefelatio
Noob
Noob

Ok, So how does the one I linked to compare to what y'all are saying? Do you have a link that would be helpful?

I get that there is no shortcut to a perfectly running scooter. I'm not trying to get this to run perfectly, just want a carb with the same factory specs. There's one out there, I just can't find the info for it.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Did the parts Spree you bought have a carb? Unless it's totally destroyed, I'd take it apart, clean, rebuild it.
Surprisefelatio
Noob
Noob

Kustomkarma wrote:Did the parts Spree you bought have a carb? Unless it's totally destroyed, I'd take it apart, clean, rebuild it.
It did, but as I was picking it up, the guy dropped it on the ground and a part literally chipped off right at the intake air connection. The d*** thing lasts 30 years and the second it sees me, it broke.... However, I may be able to "fix" that by covering it with over-sized intake rubber pipe. Thoughts? I guess I didn't even realize that carb could still be used with thorough cleaning. Sometimes the simplest fix is right in front of me. Thanks for kicking me in the * man!
Surprisefelatio
Noob
Noob

Alright, I've cleaned the original crab to moderately shiny new. My only problem is, I don't have all the inner parts. The only thing I'm really missing is the retainer that holds the injector pin in place. I cannot find that anywhere and it seems pretty d*** important. Right now, I'm just going to clip a tiny washer and make it fit. I think that will hold.

Any ideas?