1985 Elite ch80

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Scootermike94
Noob
Noob

1985 Elite ch80

Post by Scootermike94 »

Hello, I'm the new owner of an 85 elite 80.
Looking for any and all info I can get on it.
I picked it up for 80 bucks.
Guy said it needs a stator, a battery, and a tune up.
When I got it, the carb was taken off, along with stator, stator cover, exhaust, spark plug.
The fly wheel and fan were also taken off.
All parts are there in a box except the stator and stator cover....just looking for any advice I can get for this model.
More info and pics to come, hopefully.
motormike

Re: 1985 Elite ch80

Post by motormike »

The carburetor and intake manifold are known to vibrate and loosen with normal use.
Re-install yours with attention to detail...I suggest thread-locker to stop the problem.
Highly recommend you remove rear wheel for access to carburetor mounting.
It is so much easier without wheel.
EXTREME caution when tightening the carb-intake bolts.
Those are very easily stripped.
Also, drain and fill the gearbox before putting into daily service.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Scootermike94
Noob
Noob

Post by Scootermike94 »

Thanks, this will help alot im sure. I took a peek inside the cylinder as much as i could, since the carb, exhaust, and spark plug are already removed. Saw some visible rust on the exhuast valve. Guy told me its been open like it is for about a month, so im assumimg the intake valve is the same story. Gonna try to take the head off and remove the valves for further inspection/possible replacement. Any info or tips on this, again, would be greatly appreciated
JBJHillbilly
Noob
Noob

Post by JBJHillbilly »

Download the manual from the tech section.
Take pictures before you start, then group and label parts as you take them off (not later). I like to group by steps in the manual. Ziplocs are your friend!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

JBJHillbilly wrote: Ziplocs are your friend!
Just start taking things apart and toss everything into a coffee can...once its back together and you have a bunch of extra nuts n bolts, its like a bonus! SPARES! :smile:

Yeah, dont do this.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Scootermike94
Noob
Noob

Post by Scootermike94 »

Okay since the last post ive taken the top end off. Almost everything is in good shape. Some very slight surface rust on valve seats, but thats it. Going to clean them up and put it all back together. Unfortunately i forgot to take pictures. My next step is to source a new stator, as its missing and wasnt included in the box of parts that came with the scooter.
JBJHillbilly
Noob
Noob

Post by JBJHillbilly »

Meatball wrote:
JBJHillbilly wrote: Ziplocs are your friend!
Just start taking things apart and toss everything into a coffee can...once its back together and you have a bunch of extra nuts n bolts, its like a bonus! SPARES! :smile:

Yeah, dont do this.
Dang it! You made coffee come out of my nose from laughing!
JBJHillbilly
Noob
Noob

Post by JBJHillbilly »

Scootermike94 wrote:Okay since the last post ive taken the top end off. Almost everything is in good shape. Some very slight surface rust on valve seats, but thats it. Going to clean them up and put it all back together. Unfortunately i forgot to take pictures. My next step is to source a new stator, as its missing and wasnt included in the box of parts that came with the scooter.
Pretty sure I have one. Lemme take a look. If I don't now, I'll be picking up some CH80 part-outs later this week.

ETA: Won't be able to check until tomorrow. Too much other stuff going on to make it out back today!
Scootermike94
Noob
Noob

Post by Scootermike94 »

Thats awesome, thank you. Ive been wrenching on motorcycles and cars since i was a kid. I generally always have a project or two sitting around. But im 23 amd this is actually the first build forum ive ever participated in, and its been a great experience so far, when i remember to check it that is lol thanks again guys
JBJHillbilly
Noob
Noob

Post by JBJHillbilly »

I've got two. PM me and we'll figure out exactly what you need.