First look exclusive: Reproduction Spree Floor Mats

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Reproduction Spree Floor Mat

I want one!!
82%
Meh, not interested
18%

Total votes: 17

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: First look exclusive: Reproduction Spree Floor Mats

Post by eclark5483 »

But anyways.. the guy selling them says he has a few more to make, and then he'll be offering them up here on the boards for everyone.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I'm still not convinced about the design of the screws.. they don't look like a Honda part. I think a Honda part would have a thick, captive flat washer, instead of the thin, shaped, trim washer, and the self-tapping part of the screw would be made to screw into plastic and wouldn't have a broad tip. Anybody else have an original mat with Honda screws mounting it?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

My curiosity got the better of me, so I went out to look. And you are correct. The screws are different. I took a screw from my 86', brought it in, and compared it to the screws in the kit. Here are the differences.

The top one is the one with the kit, the bottom screw is an original Honda floormat screw. As you can see, an original has a wider washer and other differences.
side.jpg
side.jpg (58.33 KiB) Viewed 10211 times
Here is a top view angle.
top.jpg
top.jpg (41.84 KiB) Viewed 10211 times
And bottom view.
bottom.jpg
bottom.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 10211 times
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

eclark.. good work.. I had never seen the original floor mat, nor the screws, much appreciated.. great to document such rare parts.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yeah, those Concours judges at the Spree shows are real sticklers about correct fasteners!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Hehe. Needed that laugh, thanks. Yeah the screws are different, but it works just fine. I'd post pictures, but I'm not debuting the Cyclone Spree till the Polaris bike rally, so you'll have to take my word for it. Makes me wonder if OEM looking screws can be found, not that it really matters, but you wouldn't think it would be too hard. I'm gonna have to look around and see what I can find. I'm betting it will be an easier task then finding a floor mat.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Meatball wrote:Yeah, those Concours judges at the Spree shows are real sticklers about correct fasteners!

:drama: ... :bowrofl: ... :bs: .... :lol: ... :werd: .... :rock: .... :eyeroll:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Jonadz wrote:One of the pics looked like he had enough to fulfill a forum order!
I'm only going to "SPECULATE" at this point, but I think what he "MIGHT" mean when he says "INCREASE STOCK", just may be parts "OTHER" then floormat. :wink:

Perhaps jerz might get a wish come true.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Perhaps jerz might get a wish come true.[/quote]

:lol: that's what I like to here! :thumbwink:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I was lucky enough to acquire one of these floormats. Here are my unbiased thoughts on it:

First off, buying anything for my scoots that doesnt make them quicker, faster or mechanically improved is not exactly my top priority. However, Ive always thought the floor was missing something. Taking pride in your machine is certainly a key point in ownership and looks can play huge roll in this. When approached with the opportunity to "test" this floormat I reluctantly jumped in feet first. Lets just say Im glad I did! The look of the floormat just seems to pop and add that element of refinement and completion it was lacking. It takes the sexy lines of a Spree with its retro styling and color scheme and transforms it to DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!

On to the item itself. Upon first glance, it looks just like an original OEM part. The fit is impeccable and the mounting holes line up perfectly. The tread lines are deep, offer foot grip and would hold a decent amount of mud/water if youre a wet weather rider. The rubber composition seems highly durable and thick enough to last without worry. The "HONDA" name molded into it is an added bonus. You can tell within seconds of holding it in your hand that its a quality made piece that plenty of time and effort had been invested.

Enough about the good, heres the bad. Since every unbiased review has a "Cons" portion its only fair to add this. Keep in mind, I had to look VERY hard to find something for this section and it wasnt easy. These items would probably be invisible to the majority of the population but my OCD empowered me to find these:
Upon arrival, I opened the small shipping box and saw it was tightly rolled up inside. I know this was reduce shipping costs (thank you, seller) but it became an annoyance when I tried to install it on my scoot. It didnt want to "relax" and sit flat until I sat it on my driveway in the baking sun for a few hours and now its flat as a board. Sits nicely with zero curling. Rather insignificant really but annoying.
When removed from its casting mold, it ends up with extra material around its border that must be trimmed off. This is typical and the seller has trimmed it for me prior to shipping. However, the trim job seemed a bit jagged in spots. Maybe done free-hand? Regardless, a few minutes with a sharp razor blade had it looking primo. Again, very insignificant and doesnt detract from its superb quality.

Overall, Its a great piece and Im pleased with it in every way. I have no stake or agenda in this review other than the excitement of having these available again when I need one. The seller has done his homework on these and it shows. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one again if the need and opportunity presented itself. Bravo, seller....Bravo.
Attachments
floormat1.JPG
floormat1.JPG (149.28 KiB) Viewed 10136 times
floormat2.JPG
floormat2.JPG (165.39 KiB) Viewed 10136 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You're right... the floor mat just adds something. On yours, it almost makes it go from plain red looking Spree, to a 2 tone looking Spree with all the other black elements on the bike. I'm diggin it! Glad you figured out who seller is and got one from him.
bradmeehan
Elite
Elite

Post by bradmeehan »

Take a look at my FOR SALE post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34557
1986 Spree
1986 Spree (Big Bore)
1985 Aero 50
1985 Aero 80
1988 Elite 50 (SB50)

1985 "OrangeJuice" (Sold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CYYlkRRqa8
rsj1997ss
Noob
Noob

Post by rsj1997ss »

Love it
Last edited by rsj1997ss on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

They already are for sale. Check the Wanted/For Sale section.
Brivander
Spree
Spree

Post by Brivander »

Any idea if any of this stuff is still around? I know this is an old thread!
1985 Black/Purple Spree-39 GPS
1985 Red/White Spree-40 GPS
1987 Black/Purple Elite-44 GPS
1985 Red/Black Aero-42 GPS
1992 Red/Gray Jog- 56 GPS