powering the auto choke

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Tell me again
Noob
Noob

powering the auto choke

Post by Tell me again »

Hi guys,i have question,about how the the choke get power...I mean, i have tested ,the 2 connector for the choke on the bike, and its read between 100 mah and 500 mah,but never above 1 ah ,when throttling it up and down ...I also disconnect the choke while it was running for 15 min ,and the needle didnt even move,but it work fine when i put a 12 volt to it,"it pop out like a turtle ".....I know it run off the stator,but does anyone know the right volt or mah .....1987 honda spree 50cc ...Thanks guy
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: powering the auto choke

Post by Meatball »

I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Tell me again
Noob
Noob

Post by Tell me again »

Thanks for the link,but it still doesnt say what the idle voltage or Mah to look for?.Is it meant to be 100 mah,1volt 2 volt ?? ...Also the auto choke is new
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Tell me again wrote:Thanks for the link,but it still doesnt say what the idle voltage or Mah to look for?.Is it meant to be 100 mah,1volt 2 volt ?? ...Also the auto choke is new
Re: ...Also the auto choke is new.
By 'new' if it is a 'clone' bystarter I'd be interested in your posting the bystarter resistance.
I measured a clone a couple weeks ago, and while the Honda manual says '10 ohms max', the clone bystarter measured around 24-26 ohms.

-- Re: your questions
Correct, the Honda Spree manual makes no definition of ac voltage limits for the 'Yellow wire' (bystarter, headlight/instrument light power). For a ball park number, I'd just use a nominal 12.0vac.
The limits of 10.5v to 12.5v is just a guess. I omitted use of the limits guess for the calculations.
Bystarter Current Estimation.png
Bystarter Current Estimation.png (184.08 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
--
Estimation of values for bystarter current and voltage.
Assumed: Nominal Bystarter circuit drive voltage = 12.0 vac

Using the Honda Service Manual bystarter resistance spec: 10 ohms max
Total Resistance: 15 ohms
Current: I = E/R; I = 12/15 = 0.8 amp
AC voltage across bystarter = I * R = 0.8 * 10 = 8.0v

Measured Bystarter: 6 ohms and series resistor 5 ohms
Total resistance =11 ohms.
Current would be I = E/R; I = 12/11 = 1.1 amp
AC voltage across bystarter = I * R = 1.1 * 6 = 6.6v
ss800
BMX
BMX

Post by ss800 »

recent hard starting prompted me to check bystarter performance on my '86 Spree....inspection revealed a fair amount of corrosion on the terminals within the connector....both sides. Cleaning and a smidge of dielectric grease on the connectors, a good carb clean.....back to normal instant start at the touch of the button.

I then opted to proactively check, clean and grease all other connectors on the Spree. Found some minor corrosion on voltage reg connector too.

Sorry, no pics. Always a good idea to check integrity of connectors when electrical is suspect. Spree's white connectors are not sealed or "weatherproof" by any means
**Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson**

'95 Ducati 900SS/SP
'98 Honda VFR800
'07 Ducati SS800

www.customcarbservices.com