enjoying your Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

reynoldston
Goped
Goped

enjoying your Spree

Post by reynoldston »

It just seem like I see a lot on making the Honda Spree go faster.
I have a pair of them, one for home and one at my camp in the NY mountains.
I just enjoy them for what they were designed for; A lite-weight bike that doesn't go very fast just to enjoy rides on the back country roads with many stops.
If I want more than that, I ride my Harley.
I spend more time in a season riding the spree's than the big bike.
Love my Honda Sprees and have been asked many times if I would sell them. The answer is no .
My grand children even enjoy riding them also.
The only thing I don't like about them is that they aren't designed for rough dirt roads seeing the tires are too small and they could use more suspension. Then I guess we can always get the ATV's out for those rides.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: enjoying your Spree

Post by Meatball »

I live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. A very hilly area with very few flats to speak of. Not quite the ideal terrain for a stock Spree which loves to go 10mph up the slightest incline. Also, as soon as you leave my small neighborhood its a 35mph zone where cars typically travel 40+ regularly. Further down the road I reach 50mph country roads where cars travel 60. Ive modified my scooter for numerous reasons. It increases my travel area to keep up (or pass :smile: ) traffic, ability to climb hills without the train of angry cars in the rearview and to simply just haulazz sometimes for fun.

Its also nice to fall under the State's moped law and not being required to have a motorcycle license or insurance. My scoots are also so old that they have "collector vehicle" plates on them so I dont even need annual vehicle tabs. Did I mention the 60-70 MPG fuel economy?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Chubbyfunkmonkey
Goped
Goped

Post by Chubbyfunkmonkey »

I think a lot of people enjoy many aspects of owning a tiny scooter be it for bragging rights, relaxation, or a puzzle to solve. I try to keep at least one scooter running reliably and close to stock so I can take it for a relaxing ride when the scooter I'm trying to make faster explodes and catches fire.
1989 sb50p
2005 ruckus 50cc custom
2009 ruckus 125cc 4speed
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I don't enjoy my Sprees. I enjoy watching my son ride his, and I enjoy making one of the rarest of the rare models in my other one, look like a shining star for the rest of it's days.... under a tarp, and at bike shows. The other one is just a pit/farm bike setup I did since I have no title for it... yet. Hoping to one day make it street worthy, or maybe fix it up hard core, and give it away.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I ride mine to n from the store every now n then. The top box is nice for taco runs. But it's a slow scooter haha.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

benji wrote:I ride mine to n from the store every now n then. The top box is nice for taco runs. But it's a slow scooter haha.
I would REALLY enjoy your OEM Topbox since I am a hoarder for 100% original, Honda issued parts. Just like my everquest for a 100% original windshield with original brackets. The one on ripoff-bay doesn't cut it quite right.

EDIT: I LIKE TACOS TOO.
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

Meatball wrote:I live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. A very hilly area with very few flats to speak of. Not quite the ideal terrain for a stock Spree which loves to go 10mph up the slightest incline. Also, as soon as you leave my small neighborhood its a 35mph zone where cars typically travel 40+ regularly. Further down the road I reach 50mph country roads where cars travel 60. Ive modified my scooter for numerous reasons. It increases my travel area to keep up (or pass :smile: ) traffic, ability to climb hills without the train of angry cars in the rearview and to simply just haulazz sometimes for fun.

Its also nice to fall under the State's moped law and not being required to have a motorcycle license or insurance. My scoots are also so old that they have "collector vehicle" plates on them so I dont even need annual vehicle tabs. Did I mention the 60-70 MPG fuel economy?

Stock Spree only 10 MPH up the slightest incline. Mine are stock and ran in NY Adirondack mountains and find this isn't happening. For sure you must have a problem. Mine will slow up a little going up a long steep hill but not that much and going down then type of hill I might get 40 MPH. I didn't find it any big deal to get a motorcycle license, just a written and road test at the local DMV on my full size bike. There are times I just like the comfort, feel and power of a full size motorcycle when I am in 70 MPH traffic.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

reynoldston wrote: I just like the comfort, feel and power of a full size motorcycle
Precisely why I ride Elites. The Spree frame is just too small for me to feel comfortable. I always felt like a circus bear riding a mini bicycle and my back would start to ache being hunched over in the first 10 minutes. Fully modified, the power is comparable to a full size motorcycle and I stay off the highways even though it has capable speeds. This debate seems redundant considering the variables of the intended use and each scooter owners' riding style. What works for one, doesnt work for all.

Reminds me of an discussion I recently had over which boat is best. While I like to wakeboard, the other guy simply likes to fish and we were at a stalemate. Sure, theres boats out there that can do both but it wouldnt compare to a specific "purpose built" vessel for each activity.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

As I said Spree's have there own use by design so enjoy them for what they are. I just couldn't picture myself taking a 100+ mile trip on one, but that is just me. By the way I see nothing wrong with modifying your bike if that is what you like to do. You can do a lot of modifications for small money and I can't think of any better entrainment.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

No, Spree's are a pain in the rear. I wouldn't drive one as an everyday driver. These bike's are collectibles and should be treated as such. I really don't recommend them for people who find a cheap scooter to ride. They are awesome to fix up, no matter what path you take, but are not street worthy by any means by today's standard, without spending major bucks to modernize them. But then, I think modernizing them really makes them more fun to drive. LOVE your spree, but respect it for what it is, and you'll go as fast as you dream of with it.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Here is the best reason to own a bunch of Sprees.. no explanation needed.

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I think the spree could be a daily rider in the right situation... I've seen some sprees with lots of miles haha. If a spree owner lived and worked in downtown Tacoma or Seattle I think a spree could work well as regular transportation... As long as your getting your grocery's delivered haha. I think low speed stop n go traffic is probably it's heaven. I road mine around the shop the other day. Like inside the shop following a buddy around at 5 mph or so. It was amazingly easy haha. Fit thru a doorway like nothin haha. Except for the smoke, I bet it would make a decent mobility scooter for seniors! Jk haha.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

benji wrote: I bet it would make a decent mobility scooter for seniors! Jk haha.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

[quote="eclark5483"]No, Spree's are a pain in the rear. I wouldn't drive one as an everyday driver. These bike's are collectibles.

I have no idea why you say they are a pain in the rear. They are very simple to work on and give very few problems. No I can't see them as a main form of transportation, that's is the reason I own a car. I ride mine for my own personal entrainment only and not as a collectible. I got 2 of the sprees with around 4000 miles on each of the bikes. I am a senior in my late 70's and still like my toys. 2 sprees, 1 Harley Davidson motorcycle, and 2 ATV's, sold my last snowmobile a couple of yeas back because I don't like the cold anymore. Still hoped for another 10+ years of riding and then I can graduate to a electric scooter or wheel chair and have races in the nursing home.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

When I say pain in the rear, I mean that literally. I am referring to riding comfort, not the ease of working on them. Great for a casual ride here and there, terrible as a main mode of transportation. I would rather ride a mobility scooter. Can't understand for the life of me how my boy just loves his and not something more comfy like his sister's scoot.