1999 Honda Sa50P Tune UP Questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

jimaddison
BMX
BMX

1999 Honda Sa50P Tune UP Questions

Post by jimaddison »

Hey guys,

A couple years back a few of you helped me through de-restricting my 1999 Honda SA50. I ended up boring out the washer in the exhuast, upjetting to a #78, and removed the restriction plate. It was a success as I went from 20 mph top speed to 30-35.

Life is good, however I do have an issue when I first start up my bike. It almost has a "warm-up" period where when I open the throttle it struggles to run. Seems like it struggles to get gas almost? Long story short, it struggles to run for the first 5 minutes after I start it up.

Just the other day, I started it up and it turned over immediately. Then I tried to take it up a hill right by my house and it quit on me. Once I got it back started, it was golden the rest of the day.

I've tinkered with the idle screw thinking that might help, but I'm sure it has to be something else. I'm not much for a mechanic, so I appreciate any and all advice/help. I'm wondering if I need to try a different jet???? Thanks guys!
bonesv

Re: 1999 Honda Sa50P Tune UP Questions

Post by bonesv »

Hey Jim, I would give some of this a read first. Just to help you get familiar.... http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
There is a section in here on cleaning the carburetor, which could be some, or all of your problem. But it could be something simple like the spark plug. Try the easiest, least expensive/involving items first. The "Wiki" always available to look up information, and the service manuals for these scooters are here as well. Good Luck!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
motormike

Re: 1999 Honda Sa50P Tune UP Questions

Post by motormike »

My first inclination is to think it is time to clean that carb.
Possibly the bystarter is failing or that circuit is clogged.
Could just be some old or contaminated fuel.
If you haven't, pull the spark plug and look, clean, gap, or replace.
Let us know what you find...mm... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"