Gyro Canopy not shifting

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Gyro Canopy not shifting

Post by sipaboy »

I have a Gyro Canopy that doesn't seem to shift. Lots of low end torque and maxing out at 25mph. Hard to ask a fellow owner since the Canopy wasn't sold here in the USA. Shouldn't it shift at a certain point? If I need to replace anything what would it be? Clutch?roller weights? Need help coz I'm ordering the item from Japan and shipping should be expensive. I didn't want to make a mistake.
Also, is it difficult to replace those? Do I need a piston stop and any other weird tools? Anyone know a link on how to do it? Thanks in advance.
bonesv

Re: Gyro Canopy not shifting

Post by bonesv »

Yea, I would start by pulling the belt drive cover(s) off and carefully removing those components you mentioned, and the belt which will all need to be scrutinized for replacement.
Take the opportunity to clean out the belt dust and debris that you may find in there.
You may be able to source some or all of the worn parts locally!
I know about the overseas shipping :crazy:
Good luck and maybe take some pics as you go to make re-assembly a breeze!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

Does anyone have a link where to start. Is the belt on the right or left side of the engine. Away from the bike right now and much appreciated for the reply gentlemen.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

sipaboy wrote:Does anyone have a link where to start. Is the belt on the right or left side of the engine. Away from the bike right now and much appreciated for the reply gentlemen.
I would say, find out what year your vehicle is, try to locate a service manual and google (internet) as much information about it as you can.
Is this a 2-wheel vehicle or 3-wheel?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
motormike

Post by motormike »

As the name "Gyro Canopy" indicates, it is a 3-wheel trike bonesv... :confused:
Your trike is unlike the first and second generation Gyro, so I have no first-hand knowledge.
The 1st and 2nd gen. trikes DO NOT have a CVT driveline, but a system of clutches internally.
therefor, there are no belts or variators involved.
The Gyro Canopy, however, has a driveline that DOES incorporate the common CVT
system. The cover is located on the left side of the engine, it is long, and the belt and associated components are inside.
You MAY NEVER notice any "shift" as in the the NN50 and TG50.
If your top speed is only 25mph, probably the belt is badly worn.
Could also be wear on rollers, drive face, clutch parts...I DON'T KNOW for sure.
You NEED to search for service info based on the year and model of your trike.
The engine will have a number stamped on a boss located on the engine case somewhere.
I THINK the engine family is [TA03] followed by few numbers.
You should find and verify that engine number to obtain correct information pertaining to your trike.
Since Gyro Canopy was never sold in the USA, only a very few people in USA have any idea
about the workings of them. There is a GYRO facebook page that can connect you with worldwide
Gyro owners...maybe your questions will be easily answered by members there.
I hope my reply has helped you along the way... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

I'll put it on a stand. Take off the left rear wheel and it'll be a project for me. I got a tg50 I can use anyways.. I saw a pack of rollers,belt and face plate together. That's first on the list. Maybe the gasket for the left side case and maybe a clutch if needed.
Many thanks to motormike for his information. Much appreciated.. A few things to work on is fixing my speedometer, a cable check perhaps . Also my seat is ripped.. That's another item to fix.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

There's a guy on 49ccscoot.com who's got a few gyros, I think they're the third generation w cvt. I think he found out he can use af16 parts, but not sure. I would check out his thread, his name's "raizer" I think.
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

Do I need special tools to take off variator and replace belt? I really need this thing to shift. Getting rollers,belt and flywheel. Hoping that's all it takes. Do I need to get a new clutch? If I take the cover off. Do I need to replace a gasket?
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

Got a belt and roller kit from Japan. Took only 3 days from the day they notified me. Do I need a new clutch? Trying to change what's needed before I bring the Canopy to a scooter mechanic to install the ordered parts. Hoping after these replacement, my ride would shift and go over 25mph without sounding like the engine is ready to explode
motormike

Post by motormike »

sipaboy wrote: Do I need a new clutch?
Question cannot be answered without inspection of the clutch... :urban:
RideRed
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

I was curious so did a bit of poking around. When you say 'shift' do you mean change gear? If so, I doubt it'll do that as it has a CVT according to WikiP. If a CVT would it have a clutch with plates or the usual centrifugal arrangement of a CVT? Could of course be that the CVT clutch shoes and/or springs have worn if the engine revs high and speed is still low. Not sure what you're expecting in terms of top speed, but @ 4.6 HP for such a heavy ride it won't be fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Gyr ... yro_Canopy

Looks cool, have fun.
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

cancunia wrote:I was curious so did a bit of poking around. When you say 'shift' do you mean change gear? If so, I doubt it'll do that as it has a CVT according to WikiP. If a CVT would it have a clutch with plates or the usual centrifugal arrangement of a CVT? Could of course be that the CVT clutch shoes and/or springs have worn if the engine revs high and speed is still low. Not sure what you're expecting in terms of top speed, but @ 4.6 HP for such a heavy ride it won't be fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Gyr ... yro_Canopy

Looks cool, have fun.
Yes slow top speed but revs high. I just wanted to see if I can make it rev milder and maybe a few more mph. Hard to get info. Some says 25mph is max and some it should at least go between 30-35mph since it has a higher hp out of the other gyro models.
I ordered the clutch they had for the canopy. Should be here next week. So clutch,belt,roller,pulley kit plus air cleaner. Those needed parts for maintenance, hoping it gets me more mph and milder rpm when maxing out on its top speed.
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

Hope it all goes to plan, keep posting your findings?
Last edited by cancunia on Sat May 05, 2018 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sipaboy
Goped
Goped

Post by sipaboy »

Now wondering how many hours would it be to replace those parts? I think I saw an ad for $50 per hour for a scooter/motorcycle mechanic
motormike

Post by motormike »

sipaboy wrote:If I take the cover off. Do I need to replace a gasket?
Am I to understand that you have NOT removed the CVT cover yet ?
RideRed