Cracked Driveline in Half, Wrecked Today.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

ASpreeOfJoy
Goped
Goped

Re: Cracked Driveline in Half, Wrecked Today.

Post by ASpreeOfJoy »

eclark5483 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:40 am Now with a broken engine with parts to scrap from it. You could take this opportunity to port the heII out of the old intake, or find something better like an SB50 or an adapter to put some dio parts on it.

EDIT: Or just swap in a Dio. :confused:
I had a dio swap mount but it was stolen or thrown out by a contracting company that was at my job, and it's not all about speed, I just love to hear this engine sing and have a terrible habit of messing with stuff.. I have 3 jugs, one of them is getting higher timing windows with a ramped piston. I would like to try the domed piston in the 84-85 jug as its ports are lower it would make more torque with the high compression. I have a sb50 on the way.
ASpreeOfJoy
Goped
Goped

Post by ASpreeOfJoy »

mousewheels wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:41 pm
ASpreeOfJoy wrote:...but I'm just glad I'm okay and didnt spill as hard as I could have. If I have time I'll upload pictures of the damage, I just couldn't bring my self to take them at the moment.
Thanks for posting, and glad you are ok. I posted the SB50 case info to pass 'tribal knowlege' around. Since you are looking around for an engine, the SB50 gives one more option.I do not have an opinion that Honda had a breakage issue with the Spree case. I just note they beefed up the case.
It is nice to see this as I have a sb50 on the way, once I have everything apart I would like to see what really broke/why. I have a feeling the shock bottomed out and send the "shock" into the case as it's kinda bent.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Well that's cool. If you have an SB50, you have a more solid foundation to get more out of the engine. Good purchase.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

The Man, The Master, with the recall info. Mr. Mousewheels.
Who else knew that?

Bow down to the legend.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

:( Greetings:

Coming REALLY late into this discussion, but finally read it with great interest.

It really only takes ONE failure from the millions sold for Honda's Risk Management Team to take notice and hold Engineering to account. We may not have heard about a quiet Settlement (Probably in California or Texas...) but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Remember the Gross Vehicle Weight recommendations? I violate it every time I saddle up, even on the Elite SR. So Honda-san re-cast the case with more ribs for a greater Safety Fudge Factor - almost no doubt about it.

Truly glad road rash was the only injury. Makes me re-think going without a helmet though... :(
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
ASpreeOfJoy
Goped
Goped

Post by ASpreeOfJoy »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:13 am :( Greetings:

Coming REALLY late into this discussion, but finally read it with great interest.

It really only takes ONE failure from the millions sold for Honda's Risk Management Team to take notice and hold Engineering to account. We may not have heard about a quiet Settlement (Probably in California or Texas...) but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Remember the Gross Vehicle Weight recommendations? I violate it every time I saddle up, even on the Elite SR. So Honda-san re-cast the case with more ribs for a greater Safety Fudge Factor - almost no doubt about it.

Truly glad road rash was the only injury. Makes me re-think going without a helmet though... :(
Thanks, staying calm during the crash helped me keep all hand on deck until the crash was over. Once I heard the engine literally cut off instead of bogging or sputtering I knew something bad was about to happen. The tire squealing followed immediately after. This was literally the only failure I wasn't ready for.
ASpreeOfJoy
Goped
Goped

Post by ASpreeOfJoy »

Finally got some pictures with the case off, it split right across the 3 little webs of metal in the case. The belt held everything together.
Attachments
damage11.jpg
damage11.jpg (153.43 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
damage 8.jpg
damage 8.jpg (136.47 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
damage 1.jpg
damage 1.jpg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 5126 times
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

I was looking at my extra crank cases last night and the 86-87 NQ50's have ribbing just like the SB50's. Is it just the 84-85 NQ50's that have the light ribbing and smaller case?