Hi Everyone, new here

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Hi Everyone, new here

Post by Ian85Spree »

Bought a spree on a whim at auction at the end of last year. Honestly didn't think I would win. Anyways it ran from day one without anything but a battery, some fuel and playing around with the carb to get it to idle nicely. Need to clean/check the petcock as it leaks out over a few days, and should probably replace the fuel and vacuum lines since they feel pretty rock hard.

I've only taken it around the block a few times as it has no plates, insurance and I don't have a motorcycle licence. Yeah, if I thought things through I probably wouldn't have wound up with one.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to using the massive amount of resources and knowledge on this site.
1985 Spree
motormike

Re: Hi Everyone, new here

Post by motormike »

Wherever you are must be one of those "picky" states, because here in TN. and most other places known to me, the Spree
is completely legal being ridden on surface streets without registration, insurance, nor any motorcycle designation on your operator's license.
When you replace those fuel, oil, and vacuum hoses, you could install a simple manual, inline petcock to stop that failing OEM unit.
If you decide to replace the OEM petcock, be aware there are different threads used throughout the Spree's model years.
Welcome to the site Ian85Spree...mm.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Welcome to the boards! Here in Washington State, we have whats called the “Moped Law”. Basically any moped (scooter) thats under 50cc (Spree and most others are 49cc) and is operated a maximum of 30mph, is legal to ride on public roads with only a valid Driver’s License. No motorcycle endorsement, no insurance required. Of course, ALL other motorcycle laws need to be followed like functioning lights, blinkers, mirror(s), DOT helmet, license plate w/current tags, etc...check your State’s laws!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Ian85Spree
Noob
Noob

Post by Ian85Spree »

I'm in Ontario, where for a while they were actually talking about licencing ebikes. Which would have been interesting since most people on them either have an impaired charge or otherwise suspended licences.

Already tried an ebay petcock that was listed as 84-85 but it was the too big size for later models. I've been searching for a manual one but haven't had too much luck. I'll probably just splice in a shut off valve in the line if cleaning the petcock doesn't work.
1985 Spree