Aero 80 pre-purchase

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

quaydvt
Noob
Noob

Aero 80 pre-purchase

Post by quaydvt »

Good morning all. I'm new and started searching the forum but came up mostly with VERY old threads for what I was looking for. So rather than try to resurrect them, thought I might start fresh.

I have a couple of other scoots (mp3 250 & Burgman 400) but am looking at an '84 Aero 80 to have something smaller to hang on the back of my '77 GMC motorhome (& I like vintage, being pretty vintage myself). I have been researching the smaller scooters and read lots of good reliable things about the Aero line.

Before I head out to check it out, is there a pre-purchase inspection that you would suggest that might be more specific to this scooter? Beyond the usual generic items that would be associated with checking any other machine. I don't want to have to remove Tupperware to do it, and I haven't run a 2-stroke engine of any sort in many years - wouldn't be certain what to expect anymore :( I have not seen it in person or ridden it yet.

I am mechanically inclined but far from a small engine mechanic so I don't want to get into something that may require a lot of work beyond some basic maintenance which is often overdue! It has new brakes & tires, an HJC tail box, windscreen, 9000 km on the odometer and externally appears to be in very good condition (based on pictures). Listed at $1000 CDN, which, judging from what I've seen researching with the add-ons and "apparent" condition, doesn't seem too out of line.

Suggestions? Comments? All welcome and appreciated.
Logan Lake, BC
Canada
motormike

Re: Aero 80 pre-purchase

Post by motormike »

It is my opinion that the Aero 80 was never a popular buy when new, and subsequently never sold a lot of units stateside.
My brief experience with Aero 80 was hampered by the array of hoses and valves associated with the "cold-start" system
that seemingly was used solely on this model. I was never able to achieve a working system, and was glad to have someone
purchase the scooter just to be rid of it. Not certain, but the low number of units seems to have made this scooter fairly rare
these days. In contrast, the Aero 50 model is completely satisfying in every sense. I have owned several 50's, which use the much
simpler and reliable "bystarter" for cold-start enrichment. There are many more examples of happy owners of Aero 50.
I would not discourage you from taking the risk of Aero 80, but am FAR MORE inclined to encourage you to seek out an Aero 50.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
quaydvt
Noob
Noob

Post by quaydvt »

Hi motormike. Thanks for the input. Where I am (central BC, anywhere in BC actually) any of these machines are very few and far between. There is a 50 down in the Vancouver area, a 4 hour drive from here, with so many mods I wouldn't know where to start. Well, I can start with the large bore 70cc upgrade he made. But the list looks like theres actually very little Honda left.

I certainly appreciate your thoughts on the subject tho'. I will take it to heart in my search. Finding a Honda scooter with anything smaller than 150cc (eg PCX150 - too much weight for my coach - might as well carry the Burgman) is hen's teeth. Lots of Chinese scooters for a couple of hundred $$'s. Or Ruckus's for $2000+ (and even the Ruckus bikes are 3-4 hours drive from here). And the Ruckus is not what I want anyway. I don't want a little dirt-bike style scooter. Need something a bit more practical for storage and packing things.

What I am looking for is something solid and reliable (to me, that reads Honda) that I can hook onto the back of the coach for short grocery runs when on the road, that won't weigh it down too much (GMC is FWD!) and lose me the moderate traction I already have :) So far, the Aero is what I am seeing (I love the Passport, but because the semi-automatic trans requires shifting, it is considered a motorcycle and my scooter license won't cover it). I also don't want to buy something that needs extensive overhauling to be functional. I don't have a shop, and only basic experience. That was why I needed to know if there are any specific things I should be checking for regarding the Aero in particular). Don't want to buy and then have to spend the rest of the summer and winter getting it ready for the road in spring.

But I am still keeping my eye out for either a 50 or an 80. Happy to go with a 50... if I can find one.
Logan Lake, BC
Canada
motormike

Post by motormike »

Let me add this: The Elite 80 is a much-preferred choice by this rider. 4-stroke, plenty of storage potential, and plentiful.
RideRed
motormike

Post by motormike »

Another suggestion, considering the way you intend to use a scooter: Yamaha Zuma 50 is one excellent machine and nice examples can be found for the range of price you are looking. One locally is offered today for $850 asking, a 2001 with only 2k miles. I know of nobody ever displeased with a Zuma.
RideRed
quaydvt
Noob
Noob

Post by quaydvt »

Thanks again mmike. Very few small Honda's in this area (a couple of Elite's, but again - 3 to 5 hours drive one way to see them). 50cc isn't as popular here because of the mountains and big hills. There are a couple of yamaha's in this neck of the woods though. Haven't noticed a zuma (doesn't mean they aren't there!) but a few BWS are around (just discovered that the Zuma in the US is the BWS in Canada). I will take another look. I have a message in to the fellow with the Aero "50" that is modded to the hilt. Might be worth taking a look at, although it will be a 4 hour drive each way. Would have to take the RV if I planned to make an offer and bring it back - rack is on the MH and the corolla hatchback won't quite stuff it in the back I think :) That makes it 5 hours each way. I am going to see that 80 on Sunday though unless something comes up in the meantime.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Last edited by quaydvt on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logan Lake, BC
Canada
motormike

Post by motormike »

RideRed
quaydvt
Noob
Noob

Post by quaydvt »

Thank you! Older than what we have up here available, but I will put the BWs on my list.
Logan Lake, BC
Canada
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Buy every 83-84 Aero 80 you come across. It will be much more reliable than the modified Aero 50 and still have plenty of power for the mountains. The Elite 80 doesn't have the power or simplicity of the Aero 80. Yes, the Aero 80 bimetal starting valve can seem confusing but it is simple. Replace the 30 year old hoses and ride for another 30.

The Zuma/BWS is another good scooter but not as good as the Aero 80. They weigh the same. The old Honda Aero 50, DJ1, Dio and Yamaha Jog will be lighter weight and decent power. The Honda Pal and Yamaha Razz won't have the power you want.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
quaydvt
Noob
Noob

Post by quaydvt »

I will likely be buying the one I'm looking at this weekend. Seems to be in good nick and if it checks out in person, will be coming home with me. Other research I've been doing seems to indicate the 80 as pretty bomb-proof, and that modded-up 50 might be a great project scoot, but not much Honda left in it. I like the idea of replacing the hoses right off the bat; maybe even look at replacing some old gas lines as well. They wouldn't have been designed for EtOH gas I imagine. My old GMC coach had them all done - the originals were not meant for ethanol gas!
Logan Lake, BC
Canada
motormike

Post by motormike »

Different experiences = different opinions.
RideRed
quaydvt
Noob
Noob

Post by quaydvt »

Well took a look at it - it was in rough shape. The right side rear panel was c-o-c-k-eyed and wouldn't snap into place, windscreen same thing - not lining up properly. Tear beginning in the seat. Parking "brake" wouldn't hold, but biggest problem - ran very rough - missing and stumbling and would die when idling for more than 2 minutes. Inconsistent when the clutch would engage and had to really push the throttle to get it there. For a couple hundred dollars it might have been worth it IF I was looking for a project. But I'm not. And he wanted much more than I would have paid given the condition.

So I went to see a very nice little Yamaha BWS 50 this morning. Great shape, all of the service paperwork, ran smooth and handled very nicely. Has a performance exhaust on it. Might have had some other enhancements done before this owner bought it 2 years ago. He's 6'4" and 260 lb and he says it easily holds a steady 70 kph on the flat without batting an eye. I bought it.

Thanks for your help folks, but I guess it's a Yamahammer for a while.
Logan Lake, BC
Canada
motormike

Post by motormike »

Your report holds no surprises.
30+ year old anything likely to have troublesome elements.
Again, I state that the "bi-metal enrichment" system used on Aero 80 is a "bag-o-snakes".
If you had found the Aero is tip-top shape, even I might have been tempted to buy.
Glad you found a Zuma that sounds to be in good nick.
Good to see you chime in eliteguy50...come around more often and lend your help with some technical questions.
RideRed
quaydvt
Noob
Noob

Post by quaydvt »

IF it had been in decent shape, I probably would have considered it. But too many things that I didn't want to troubleshoot. Maybe farther into my retirement, when I'm looking for things to do :) For now, I need/want something I can rely on to run. The Aero wasn't it. The Zuma is. But I did like the Honda. I will clear the garage out and see if I can make space for one more little scoot some day.

I will keep hanging around here anyway. Good information on the little 50's in general and I may need more advice on another old Honda some day. Tìoraidh!
Logan Lake, BC
Canada