Key blanks for copies?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Key blanks for copies?

Post by Sevyndaze »

Hoping someone can help with this one, I have only one key for my 2000 Elite and I'd like to get some copies made. My local hardware store tried the closest looking one they had but it wouldn't work. Has anyone had any luck getting copies made for their scooter? If so, by any chance do you know what blank was used?
2001 Elite S (Derestricted)
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
1.5k Contra, 4k shoe springs
16/42 Gears
Wheelman-111

Re: Key blanks for copies?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda dealer is the only place I've found them. Then again, I haven't looked elsewhere...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Keep trying different stores. There are a couple different styles of key but ace hardware, tru value, or home depot has always had no problem getting them ordered in when they were out of stock. You don't have to spend a fortune ordering one from honda. : /
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I once had NO key for a Spree and went to my local maw-n-paw locksmith place in town. I brought my ignition assembly with me and they were able to pull the code off the side and look up the cut in their database. They had a key in stock that fit perfect and worked like a charm. However, once it was all said and done and “maw” was ringing me up...the bill was $38!!! She justified the high price by telling me its the cost of looking up the code in Honda’s database. I reluctantly paid since the key was cut and in my hand but I vowed to NEVER go this route of robbery again.

My point: they had plenty of replacement keys on-hand and just making a copy of your existing key would only be a few bucks. If you have a locksmith place near you, you should check them out for a cheap-ish copy. My lesson learned was to ask the final cost before you proceed with getting anything cut. Maw and Paw took me for a ride!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Yeah I'd rather avoid paying out the nose for Honda copies if possible. The hardware store I went to said they weren't sure if it would work but if it didn't they wouldn't charge me for it. The key has "C15" stamped on it which doesn't bring up much, but I do see some key blanks on Ebay that look similiar for around $12-15 shipped.

I don't really have a huge need for spare keys, it's mostly just that I find it annoying to have to shut the thing off if I need to open either of the storage compartments after I've got it running. I do have an Ace and a Home Depot close by, as well as a place that advertises that they cut car keys specifically. I suppose this will be an adventure akin to my quest for a 39mm socket...
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I looked for a big socket at every tool shop in town and the only one I found was at Grainger....they wanted $25 for it so I did a $8 Ebay one instead.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I brought my lock into the dealer and they cut from the code stamped on the back. I recall paying something like $12, so not sure how much you can really save going online. YMMV.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

I'll see what I can find at the other local hardware stores and maybe pop into the Honda dealer if I don't find anything.

On the subject of a 39mm socket, I'm a bit confused as to why it works better than a 38 if a 38 fits?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I have a 39mm and it fits like it should. Not sure where youre hearing 38??
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

It’s on the wiki: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5/C ... isassembly

Says 39 is best, 38 “will work, but not well”. 39mm is a rare Pokémon indeed...
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Id say TRY a 38mm if you already have it in your toolbox but if youre gonna BUY one....go with 39mm.

I screwed up when I bought mine on Ebay and got a 3/4” drive. Didnt read the fine print. I dont have 3/4” ratchets but luckily I had a 3/4-1/2 adapter that was included in a tool kit so its no biggie. Just a pain to fish around for the adapter every time I take a clutch apart.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

I do have one and it fits very well. It’s just unusual that a LARGER socket than the smallest one that fits the nut is the best option, isn’t it?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Its possible that not all clutch nuts are created equal. Try enough clutches and you may encounter a “fat” one that the 38mm socket will not fit...whereas the 39 will fit them all.

Keep in mind that these parts are made from every corner of the globe..Japan, Taiwan, Italy, Germany, China, Spain, etc. some have looser tolerance standards than others.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

I had considered that. The nut that I tested was actually the one that came on the ZX pulley/KN Clutch assembly from SSS. I have yet to test it on the stock pulley/clutch that's on it now, so I may end up needing a 39mm after all.
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears