Gyro in US - what will it take?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Pizzascooter
Noob
Noob

Gyro in US - what will it take?

Post by Pizzascooter »

First post and a complete newbie to scooters so apologies in advance for any faux pas I may commit. I've a number of pizza delivery restaurants and I can't for the life of me understand why the Honda Gyro that is so ubiquitous in Asia hasn't found its way to the US. Regardless of what it would take to make them US street legal, I'd think the size of the market would make it viable. I'm willing to make some kind of effort/investment into figuring out how/why they aren't here and what it would take to bring them stateside. That being said, it is likely a fool's errand as I'm surely not the first to see the potential. Any insights would be welcomed!!
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: Gyro in US - what will it take?

Post by harleyracer59 »

they were already here and gone. lol
ive got an 84 nn50 with 300 miles. and working on getting an 86 tg50 that needs a lot of work.
where are you located? a friend that imports jdm scooters just received a container. hes got 6-12 right now. canopy's and x's. im sure he'd do a deal on multiples. shoot me a message and ill see what I can arrange. happy scootering!!!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Money makes the world go round’. If demand isnt there than it would be a losing enterprise to provide supply. You can bet your * that if there was a profit to be made in the sales of Gyro’s in the States than it wouldve been capitalized on long ago.

As the population/traffic congestion increases, prices of fossil fuels increase and cost of vehicle ownership skyrocket...alternative transportation is increasingly sought. Motorized Mopeds/Scooters were growing in popularity in the 80’s-90’s then fizzled out awhile. Now as interest is beginning to spark back up, there are more options for travelers to choose from than during the “scooter boom” days of old. Electric motored machines are growing in popularity to consumers by the minute. I firmly believe that gasoline scooter sales will continue to drop and manufacturers will follow the trend. Dont expect to see any new offerings unless it comes with an extension cord and battery level gauge.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Greetings Pizzascooter.
Member vintagegarage has interest in the Gyro deviants as well.
He is currently on voyage through the heart of the Asian scooter world.
Give this thread some time to get his notice,
I will mention it to him.
Still riding my '85 TG50M.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

My dream scooter for my son isn't his Spree, it's a classic Gyro. Love them to death, wish I had a couple.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

mm.. thanks.. I will be home in two days and plan to upload many photos of Gyros and other odd scooters.. summary is:
Japan... Many Gyro Canopies and a few Gyro UP and Gyro X. No scooters on the road older than about 10 years. Also saw a new Yamaha delivery scooter.. very nice. Many of my photos will be delivery scooters of all sizes, brands and shapes. McDonalds uses Gyro Canopies. Pizza hut something different..
Korea.. a mix of all brands.. no gyros, Honda pretty rare there.
China.. Most everything on two wheels is electric now, and there are a ton of them. Very rare to find a gasoline powered scooter. All scooters are old battery technology and beat up, but the cars are brand new and shiny. No Honda, No Yamaha, no Taiwanese brands there.
Taiwan.. Kymco #1, Yamaha #2, Sym #3, no TGB, no Honda, very few PGO. Not sure why there are so many Yamahas, but no Hondas. Saw only two single seat scooters out of 1,000.. most scooters are 125s.
Philippines.. Honda is king.. many sidecars, and unusual things.. a lot of scooters and small motorcycles I wish we could get in the US.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I wanna see those side cars!!! I really want to build or buy one so my dog can go on rides with me. he barks at anything with wheels. he got out 1 time and I picked him up on my gyro. he sat in my lap perfect and still for the ride home. just looked at everyone looking at us. lol