Scooters in Asia

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Scooters in Asia

Post by vintagegarage »

These are scooter photos from Shanghai, China. Very few gas scooters here.. very rare to see one.

There is also a way bigger percentage of scooters to bicycles here, unlike in Beijing. For example, here is the parking lot below the train station. Every scooter in this photo is electric:

Even the police scooters here are electric:

The police cars are also electric:

Here is a nice electric. I wish I had this one. I should buy a sea container of these for around $350 US each:

Here is another one:

And some more:

A nice gasser trike:

More electric scooters and a couple of bicycles. The ratio of scooters to bicycles in this photo is fairly typical in Shanghai:

This looks to be a Kymco gasoline scooter, or maybe a Yamaha as it has a Yamaha decal on the leg shield. I don't know the rules here and what kind of permission you need to operate a gas scooter on the city streets in Shanghai.

This final photo from Shanghai shows a few more electrics:

The next post will be from Taiwan. There are a hundred thousand and more scooters there, and mostly gasoline powered. Kymco, Yamaha, and Sym rule there, but no Honda and no Chinese mainland brands.. more around that in the post.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

This next group will be photos from Taiwan, in the area around Keelung. Unlike mainland China, Taiwan roads are dominated by gasoline scooters. I never saw an electric scooter in Taiwan. Top brands in the Keelung area are Kymco and Yamaha, with SYM in third, and PGO (Genuine Buddys are PGO MyBuBus) in forth place. For some reason, there are no Honda scooters in Taiwan, at least I never found one. I also never saw a TGB (Taiwan Golden Bee). TGB's are made in Taiwan and sold in Florida, but for some reason, they don't appear to be sold in Taiwan. If anyone knows why there are no Hondas and no TGBs on the streets in Taiwan, please reply to the post with the reason.. much appreciated.

This first batch of photos shows typical streets in Keelung. These photos represent roughly the ratio of cars to scooters in Keelung. All of these scooters are used ones, belonging to people who live or work along this street:

Another typical street:

Another typical street. There are perhaps 30 or more streets in Keelung that look just like this:

When I go to Keelung, my first stop is always a street I call "Scooter Dealer Row". All of the scooter dealers have a shop or two on "Scooter Dealer Row" and I stop there to see the latest models. Each dealer also has a repair bay and also a small parts department.

This is "Scooter Dealer Row"

Here is one of the Yamaha dealers on Scooter Dealer Row:

And some new Yamahas:

More new Yamahas in the second Yamaha showroom:

Here are some new Kymcos in front of the Kymco shop:

And a couple more:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Here is the SYM dealer in Keelung on "Scooter Dealer Row":

Here are some new SYMs outside of the dealer:

and some more new SYMs:

I liked these SYM motorcycles:

This is the showroom/workshop for the PGO Dealer:

Here are some new PGOs:

And some more new PGOs:

This is the showroom/workshop for the Suzuki Dealer:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

This next batch is some used scooters that I liked in Keelung, in no particular order:

This PGO trike is called a PGO 125 WelBike and I saw several of them.

It is not a Trike Kit, but rather is manufactured as a Trike. Here is a photo from the rear:

Scooters:

Scooters:

Scooters:

Scooter:

Scooters:

This is a SYM delivery:

And a pair of SYMs:

A Yamaha Cuxi:

A Yamaha GTR:

Another Yamaha. You see a lot of these, styled with "Rocket Ship Thrusters" at the rear:

Here are some Kymco Police Scooters:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

This next batch of photos is from the city of Kaohsiung in Taiwan. The Kymco factory is in Kaohsiung, and there are a bigger percent of Kymco scooters here. I'd guess about 80% of the scooters in town are Kymcos. It's an easy walk to the Kymco factory, and even though I had been told they wouldn't let me in for a tour, I decided to walk to the factory anyway to see what it looked like from the outside.

Here is a typical street in Kaohsiung:

Here is Propane Delivery Scooter I found on the walk to the Kymco Factory:

When I got to the Kymco factory, there was a bunch of new ones in the parking lot out front:

Off to the side, a group of Kymco workers dressed in white were outside taking a break:

I went to the guard station to ask if I could go inside, and while the guards didn't speak English, they handed me a land line phone handset so I could talk to the receptionist in the main Headquarters building. She spoke some English, enough to say "No" and "Company Policy" and then asked me to wait at the guard station. Here was the HQ Building:

In less than a minute, she was standing next to me and she said "Sorry" and handed me a "Swag Bag":

Inside the bag was a bottle of Kymco Water:

And also a Kymco Hat:

My next destination was 271-255, Jianguo 3rd Road, Sanmin District, Kaohsiung City, 807 to look at used scooters. That street is somewhat famous, as there are perhaps 20 or more used scooter dealers. The used scooters are all polished up and detailed to look like new, much like upscale used car lots in the United States. Along the way, I took a few photos of Delivery Scooters.

Here is a fully loaded Delivery Scooter:

And a Pizza Hut Delivery scooter:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

This was typical of one of the used scooter dealer's display. It almost looked like a new scooter dealer, except that there was a mixture of brands:

The most interesting scooter on the entire street was this scooter with a sidecar. If I could only bring home one scooter from my trip to Asia, it would be this Kymco. The workmanship looked factory, but this is the only one I have ever seen, so it might have been a one off:

Note the electrical switch on the top of the box on the right fender of the side car. You could rollup with your wheelchair, flip the switch to lower the ramp, ride up on the ramp and flip the switch to raise the ramp. The whole front end of the scooter was cut off the scooter, and moved to the sidecar so that the person in the wheelchair could steer and operate the scooter while riding in a wheelchair in the sidecar:

The original seat, engine and drive wheel was all that was left on the scooter, but retaining the seat meant that the operator could take along a passenger or two:

A grab bar replaced the handlebars on what was left of the scooter, so that the passenger had something to hang on to:

After leaving "Used Scooter Dealer Street", I took a few more photos of scooters I found interesting. AEON is a shopping mall company with outlets all over Asia. This is an AEON scooter, and behind is a PGO JBuBu. PGOs are rebranded and sold in the United States by the Genuine Scooter Company:

Here is a SanYang Dio:

and it's engine:

Here is another Dio with nice basketization:

and it's engine:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Here are a few more photos from Kaohsiung, Taiwan. This is typical of a line of scooters:

The police in Kaohsiung use Kymco scooters:

This is a Tact Scooter with factory basketization:

But here is the engine on the Tact:

I liked this PGO Jbubu scooter:

Compare the PGO Jbubu to the Genuine Buddy Kick. Here is a link to MotorScooterGuide:
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Genuin ... k-125.html

That's the end of the photos from Taiwan.. The next stop is Manila in the Philippines.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

These next posts are from Manila in the Philippines. Manila is "Sidecar City", and unlike much of the rest of Asia, most of the scooters and motorcycles are Japanese brands, with Honda dominating, Yamaha in second, and Suzuki third. So finally, here are some Honda scooters. But first, here is a sidecar photo to get you in the right mood:

And here is a smaller one delivering cases of Pepsi:

Most of the scooters in Manila are 110s and 125s. There doesn't seem to be any regulation that would favor a 50cc model, and I'm not sure that I saw any. Seating for two, and higher speeds pretty much say 110, 125 or 150. I saw a lot of Honda Beats and I think their engines might be 110s. Here is one:

I also saw a lot of Honda Waves. Here is one:

I am not sure of this Honda model. It is similar to a Wave, but it doesn't have a leg shield:

This is a Honda XRM:

The wheels on this one say Yamaha, and the whole scooter might be a Yamaha:

This is a typical line of scooters with a Honda Beat up front:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Here are more photos from Manila. Not all sidecars are attached to motorcycles. Many are attached to bicycles. Here is a commercially manufactured mass-production sidecar:

You see these all over. Here is a typical street in the Intramuros, the old part of Manila. The sidecars double as homes for the operators, many of who sleep in them at night, and also as their main source of revenue. Anywhere you go in Manila, you will be bombarded by men with bicycle sidecars, "I give you tour of Intramuros?"

Very often a bicycle with sidecar will have a sign on it for a luxury car brand. "You want ride Ferarri?"

This is a Honda Click:

Not sure of the brand, but the double rear shocks looked interesting:

I didn't see many delivery scooters. McDonalds drivers used insulated backpacks instead:

This is a Suzuki Raider 150:

This man has a wide load!

I dug this Yamaha:

And a Yamaha Midi 125 behind a Fuel Injected Honda Beat 110. These two scooters are the most popular in Manila and are direct competitors:

This is also a Yamaha 125:

Unlike in China, where most small vehicles are electric powered, there aren't many electric vehicles in Manila. This is one notable exception. You see a few of these E-Trikes giving tours around the Intramuros:

That's all from Manila, and that is the end of this years posting of photos from Asia.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I love the little cube vans. And I want a Honda benly! Its like a little truck haha.
RichardUrena
Noob
Noob

Post by RichardUrena »

The last one before the e-trike from the Philippines looks slick. The white and orange one.
ReB0RnSativa_00_
Noob
Noob

Post by ReB0RnSativa_00_ »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.