I can't believe that thing even ran!!!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

I can't believe that thing even ran!!!

Post by eclark5483 »

So I got bored tonight and grabbed the old carb off the shelf from my 87' Spree I bought off that kid a while back. I was gonna tear it apart, soak it in the crock pot, change out the main and offer it up for sale on here. When I first bought the Spree off of him, it ran fine, it started fine, so I didn't think much of the carb at all. My intention from the start was to upgrade everything, so when it was dismantled, the extra stuff was just tossed on a shelf to collect dust. Well anyways, like I said, got bored decided to tear it apart. As soon as I opened it up, this is what greeted me on the inside. My jaw about dropped. It almost defies all logic on why this bike ran so well... check it out..

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: I can't believe that thing even ran!!!

Post by benji »

... nothing? No float needle or float?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Bowl gasket busted?....I hate when the rubber breaks.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

That’s trashed. Pilot tube looks clogged and busted off. Good luck on that!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

benji wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:23 am ... nothing? No float needle or float?
Oh the float was there. What was missing was the main jet and the pilot jet is busted off. Suppose I'm gonna have to drill that out (unless someone has a better idea). But yeah, It just boggles the mind how that bike not only ran, but ran well. There is no pilot tube leading down to pull up any gas.. Bigtime W followed up with a TF!!! I remember well, the bike started very quickly with a slight tap to the starter!!
Meatball wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:21 am Bowl gasket busted?....I hate when the rubber breaks.
Yup, that was all cracked too. Only wish that was the worst of it.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Oh wait, I just realized, this is NOT the carb from my 87' This one is from that 86' I bought but haven't got the title for. The one for the 87' is on a different shelf.. phew.. Glad I figured that out. I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out. But like I said, once I get that 87' carb cleaned and rejetted it's for sale real real cheap if anybody needs one. Thinking I'll just buy a rebuild kit and sell it for whatever the kit costs plus shipping. I'd say that's a pretty cheap fair price.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

This is just getting to be down right hilarious now. After getting over the shock of the insides of the carb, flipped it over and undid the bystarter and throttle..hmm... yup, bystarter probs and wow... found the main jet!!

harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

lol friends shouldn't let friends work on scooters drunk, high, or retarded..... I still wonder where the previous owner put the pilot tube? inside the wrist pin??? that carb is only good for the few spare parts that might still be there. thanks for the laugh though!!!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Thats where I keep my spare jets too. Also, the fuel bowl is great unused storage space for things like tools, lunch and even a hide-a-key for those pesky moments youre locked out of your scooter.

I also store beach sand in my fuel tank just in case I get stuck in the snow I can use it for traction. Life hack level 100!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.