Screwed

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Screwed

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If those Keihin and Mikuni carb bowls are difficult to remove sometimes, here's the reason.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Screwed

Post by vintagegarage »

Wheelman is right. Every one of us should have a good set of JIS screwdrivers. I bought a set of these last year and they are "magical":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vessel-Megador ... 2749.l2649

They ship straight from Japan and arrive in about a week. Besides having the correct profile in the tips, the tips are serrated for extreme grip, and metallurgy in the tip is extremely good.. very hard and yet strong and not brittle. They are so good, that I ordered a second set. I haven't yet found a use for the smaller size, so if your budget is tight, you can search on eBay and just buy the larger one instead of the pair. On the downside, the handle grip diameter is slightly smaller than I like. My old hands are slightly arthritic now, and I can no longer fully close my fist, so I like a slightly larger grip, but the metal quality in these outweighs my complaint about grip size.

Slightly off topic, but this is my recommended screwdriver for Phillips head screws:

I bought mine a couple of years ago direct from Wiha as I couldn't find them anywhere else. Now I see they are for sale on eBay at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiha-46815-2-x ... ctupt=true

This is my go-to screwdriver for non JIS screws when working on scooters. I have six of them and one or two of them are in every toolbox I have. The metallurgy is also super, the tips are serrated and non-slip, and the handle grips are the right size for me. They come in all sizes if you search the Wiha site at:
https://www.wihatools.com/screwdrivers/ ... s-driver-2

Prior to discovering the Wiha screwdrivers 4 years ago, I was using a Kobalt made-in-USA 101653 Phillips screw driver. Yes, back in the day, Kobalt tools were made in the USA and were high quality. The serrated tip on that screwdriver had such a good grip that I broke off the tip trying to back out a long deck screw (with only hand twisting force) that had been in a pressure treated wooden beam for about 10 years. The tip had a fantastic grip, but as it turned out, the heat treatment on the tip wasn't up to the job. I still search for another one to fill the hole in my set. This is what it looks like and I would appreciate it if anyone has a lead on buying another one that they could pass on to me.

and here is a closeup of the broken tip:

Kobalt and Lowes had no interest in helping me. By the way, when building this reply, I suffered the same problems as motormike when trying to use the attachment tab to include the four photos. I finally gave up and included the photos using my old reliable method.
motormike

Post by motormike »

By the way, when building this reply, I suffered the same problems as motormike when trying to use the attachment tab to include the four photos. I finally gave up and included the photos using my old reliable method.
I always read through your posts Vaughn as you have become one of the premier members of hondaspree.net.
STILL haven't discovered exactly the right way to guarantee inclusion of more than one pic. Sometimes, it works, sometimes not.
Thank you for sharing... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

Looks like I need a set, I always thought it was a standard phillips.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

The video mentions the "dot" on the JIS screw head, but doesn't show a picture of the dot. Here is what the dot looks like:
Last edited by vintagegarage on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Here is a carb photo from wikispreedia showing the dot on the screws that holds down the bystarter:

Here is another showing the dot on the screw that holds down the pivot rod for the carb float:

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

So the dot is what designates a JIS screw? Good to know. I've a couple Craftsman JIS drivers that I keep hidden so they aren't used for phillips stuff.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I've thought about this for a couple of weeks, and I am still not sure if all JIS screws have the dot. I think it is safe to say that if there is a dot, it is a JIS screw. I'm not sure if all JIS screws have a dot though. For example, the screws that hold the two halves of the handlebar controls (high/lowbeam/horn/turn and kill/start) together on the 1984 Gyros I've been working on have dots and are JIS screws for sure. However, the long shoulder screws that mount the brake levers to the same controls, look to me to be JIS screws but they don't appear to have the dots.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Anybody know where to get a jis drill bit that clicks into a quick-change style drill Chuck? I typically use a 1" or 6" bit instead of the magnetic bit holders, and I'm looking for a long jis bit but can't find one.