****Official Non-Honda Picture Post****

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

This is what the Spree is replacing:

Ignore the pieces going out from the sides to the back behind the tire. Thats from an experiment in making a trailer for it. I gave up on it once I got my DL. I need to take it back off one of these days.

It is a Mosquito Stinger 40cc (2 cycle). Very well made scooter for it's kind. Just about top of the line. The seat is optional but I'd highly recommend it for it's speed/performance. It has a Subaru engine as I recall. The scooter company was actually based here in USA but went bankrupt apparently. They were known as Mosquito motors, then Apache and then they disappeared. I once ordered a chain from them (before finding out Wal-Mart sells the same chain for 1/4 the price) and they had a toll free number and the part came from a place here in USA. Too bad. They made a d*** good scooter. The made a 4 cycle version as well a year or two after I got my 2 cycle one. They are still up for sale on various scooter stores online but they are sure pricey. And to think we paid even more than that in a store in CA. *sighs*

The front fork that doesn't match is an aftermarket suspension fork I got as the scooter has ZERO suspension built into it. Makes for a very bumpy ride. The fork helps a lot.

Top speed around 28-30mph according to the bicycle speedometer I got to work on it for a few days. (I think the vibrations fouled up the speedometer's sensor.) It certainly felt like 30mph. I think it actually creeped up to about 32mph on a very long stretch of straight smooth road I took it out on at the time. Downhill I'm sure it would have gotten up to 40. I know I took it past 35mph downhill but after so much speed it begins to feel unsafe so I had to let off the throttle and brake a little. Oh yes, the rear is a drum brake and the front is a pad like a bicycle. Only a pull start and no electrical system at all. Police here pulled me over for not hand signaling. I'd like to see them hand signal at 25mph on a bumpy road on a scooter and not crash. After that I pretty much stopped riding it as they ruined it for me. I then worried about them harassing me for not hand signaling, after riding it for over 3 years in CA & AR without a cop ever having a problem with it. I suspect they wanted to make sure I was legal to ride it more than anything else.

But yeah. Now I have the Honda Spree with turn signals, a headlight, brake lights and a better horn than the piece of crap bike one I put on the Stinger. And I have motorcycle endorsement on my DL so I have nothing to worry about how as far as harassment from the cops since I will be 100% legal in every respect.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

That thing looks like a blast!
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

sweet! 8)
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

GIJoeBob wrote:That thing looks like a blast!
Yeah, it is. Uses many off the shelf bike and engine parts so it's pretty cheap to do routine maintenance on. Uses 16" bike tubes and tires. Uses a standard weed eater plug, the chain is the bigger bicycle chain that Wal-Mart sells.

The handlebars fold down so you can put it in the back seat of a car if you need to transport it. And it doesn't weigh much. I had to lug it up and down stairs into the apt when I lived in California. I would hate to try that with a Spree. :shock:
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Cubey wrote:And it doesn't weigh much. I had to lug it up and down stairs into the apt when I lived in California. I would hate to try that with a Spree. :shock:
Spree isn't that bad. If you take off the floorboard, you can grab hold of the round part of the frame and carry it on up. That's what I did at the apartment before I got a house.

-aseigler
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:
Cubey wrote:And it doesn't weigh much. I had to lug it up and down stairs into the apt when I lived in California. I would hate to try that with a Spree. :shock:
Spree isn't that bad. If you take off the floorboard, you can grab hold of the round part of the frame and carry it on up. That's what I did at the apartment before I got a house.

-aseigler
Just put straps on it and wear it as a backpack.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote: Spree isn't that bad. If you take off the floorboard, you can grab hold of the
round part of the frame and carry it on up. That's what I did at the apartment before I got a house.
I was referring to the weight, not what to grab onto. According to wiki, an '84-'85 Spree is 86lbs dry weight, an '86 is 92lbs and a '87 is 94lbs. The Mosquito Stinger is around 40-45lbs with gas and a (optional/not included) seat.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Cubey wrote:
CharlotteSpreeRider wrote: Spree isn't that bad. If you take off the floorboard, you can grab hold of the
round part of the frame and carry it on up. That's what I did at the apartment before I got a house.
I was referring to the weight, not what to grab onto. According to wiki, an '84-'85 Spree is 86lbs dry weight, an '86 is 92lbs and a '87 is 94lbs. The Mosquito Stinger is around 40-45lbs with gas and a (optional/not included) seat.
All the work of getting it up the stairs is offset by the fun you get to have by riding it back down. :P
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

GIJoeBob wrote:
All the work of getting it up the stairs is offset by the fun you get to have by riding it back down. :P
You actual do this? Death wish or just huge ballls?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
GIJoeBob wrote:
im going to guess huge balls.
I have done this before on my old yamaha jog. I only had to balls to do it twice. last time i did it the back tire kicked out and i feel hard.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Karman
Goped
Goped

Post by Karman »

and i feel hard.
:shock: From thinking about scooters? :wink: J/K
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

are they something wrong with my grammar?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Dac wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
GIJoeBob wrote:
im going to guess huge balls.
I have done this before on my old yamaha jog. I only had to balls to do it twice. last time i did it the back tire kicked out and i feel hard.
I was joking. I have gone down stairs plenty of times on my mountain bike, but I think the wheels on a scooter might be a bit too small for something like that. :lol:
monkeywrench
Spree
Spree

Post by monkeywrench »

this is my toyota 89 pickup with a 22re 4banger 4'' superlift 3'' bodylift
and 456 gears front and rear. 33x12.5 bf goodrich mud tarrians it slow as * but fun to drive in the mud
here kitty kitty kitty
http://www.youtube.com/warmonkey80
Base4life
Spree
Spree

Post by Base4life »

MY DREAM!!!!!!!!!!

<br>

<br>

01 Elite
in progress!