2019 Honda Super Cub

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

2019 Honda Super Cub

Post by Meatball »

And they said all new releases were gonna be electric...pfft

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/ho ... these-days
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 2019 Honda Super Cub

Post by vintagegarage »

So this happened today:

I managed to get it home without damaging it, and have put 3 miles on it so far.. the seat is a bit high for me, as is the step-through. There is not much info in the owners manual about shifting and how to properly do it, but if you completely close the throttle when shifting from first to second, you will face plant if you aren't careful. I think with practice it will become second nature, but for a scooter guy who isn't used to much engine braking, the engine braking will take some getting used to.. In general, it has a heavy solid feeling to it, yet it seems pretty fast.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

🤨Big show-off! jk. Congrats on the new ride! Honda is very “Patriotic” over here.....
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

WOW...I expect a full review once youve gotten more saddle time. The shifting was a mystery to me with no clutch as to proper procedure. I can see how closing the throttle at the top of a gear would lurch it unless maybe youre lightning quick to shift and get back on it somehow with perfect timing. Back in my FatCat days I remember it was an auto w/manual foot shift but still had a clutch lever that should be used. Shifting without it quickly while climbing through gears was done often (dumb kid on a bike) but it would clunk into the next gear every time as to say “dont do that”. I kept doing it until the trans finally blew....let us know what you come up with for smooth shifting.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

My 2 cents = shifting the clutchless little bikes never did feel very smooth unless your throttle action was quick.
Rolling off completely never gave any satisfactory shifting action. Likewise, down-shifting always felt clunky. My experience came on the CT70, Z50A, Passport, and once on a Sym Symba. Congrats Vaughn, surely you will work out the combination given time. Beautiful bike. Not clear on how you intend to properly basketize this Cub, but no doubt you already have a plan.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I would go with custom rear rack and panniers. But that's me.
I remember these auto-shift engines. I don't recall rolling off throttle 100%, it was more like you backed off a bit and then shifted to next highest gear. Downshift was same but note you couldn't use it to slow down nearly as effectively as with clutch.
Have fun with the new bike. These things are the most common bikes sold globally in places that actually depend on them for part of the transportation infrastructure.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I've put 17 miles on it now, including 2 miles after dark. The headlight is superb.

noiseguy is exactly right.. I found the same thing.. When upshifting, you don't roll off the throttle 100%, you pretty much roll off the throttle just a touch and shift at the same time, and when downshifting, you just stop accelerating in the gear you are in, and then shift down.. don't back off at all on the downshift.. just don't be accelerating. I almost have it mastered. The toughest change is from first to second, and if I think about it in advance, I can do it right every time.

One nice thing is that you can shift up and down through all gears while the bike is stopped and idling. Every other motorcycle I have ridden shifts best while you are at least slightly moving. There is no problem either with the Supper Cub rolling to a stop in fourth gear. The clutch disengages automatically before the engine begins to lug. So, at the very least, you can do most of your gear downshift changes while you are stopped getting ready to go. There may not be any benefit to waiting for a stoplight in neutral instead of first gear. I'm not sure if any part is receiving more wear if you sit idling in first gear vs. neutral. It is sure easy to sit idling in first gear, and then just twist and go when the light changes.

That is pretty much it, so far. I'm still researching side stand choices, as there looks to be several good ones.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I have only had it for less than a week, but I found that there are already a number of forums around that have discussions about the Super Cub. Just like the Ruckus spawned an industry of custom and speed parts, I can see that right now, there is a big market for JDM Super Cub parts, and Webike is doing a good business selling OEM Honda JDM sidestands, rear racks, JDM rear footpegs, and various things that come on the Japan model, but not on the USA model. For such a popular vehicle around the world, there is a surprising lack of storage on it, and everyone also seems to want a side stand. It Seems like there might be some business there for scooterswapshop. Some sort of front bin like on a Genuine Buddy would be handy, and I can't find any matching color top box that would fit on the OEM accessory rear rack.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

A small front rack to mount a basket, or a basket mount, would be just the thing. Sounds like a business opportunity calling.

On shifting stopped bike, I used to bump the clutch out while stopped and in neutral to get the gears moving, then drop it into first if it wouldn't go in from a standstill. Usually though at lights I had the bike in first as I rolled to a stop with clutch in... just made a habit of it in case I needed to move in a hurry while waiting at a light.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Yes, as mm has already guessed, I am studying a possible basketization.. right now, I don't see suitable mounting points for a front or center rack. There are front racks for C50s, 90s and 100s, but I don't see that they would work on the C125. There is also a center rack for the smaller cubs, but they don't look like they would fit the 125.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Front-R ... XQJRhRcPMQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-C50-C70- ... SwgmJX0YVO

I am still curious about how it is so easy to shift through all the gears while standing still. When the workshop manual comes in, I'll try to see if I can figure it out.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I received a few packages from Web!ke this week. One contained all the Honda OEM parts to install the JDM side kickstand. Another contained a Cub 110 Mini-Basket, and the third contained all the Honda OEM parts to install the JDM rear foot pegs, plus a red jump seat that fits on the OEM accessory rear chrome rack. Parts come from Web!ke in 5 days, but the chrome rear rack still hasn't arrived at my local Honda dealer. I ordered the rear rack from my Honda dealer the day I bought the Super Cub.

In any event, while not designed to fit the Super Cub 125, the Cub 110 mini-basket fits the 125 pretty well. I mounted it with nylon standoffs on each of the two mounting screws on the side. It will hold a diet coke, a packet of dog biscuits, and two McDoubles, which is all I need in the way of a basketization. The basket is this one:

https://japan.webike.net/products/23120123.html

Here is a photo of the Super Cub with the basketization complete and the Honda OEM side kickstand installed:

The basket isn't in the way for me, when riding:

In order to install the side kickstand, you have to replace the main step bar. While doing so, I came across these screws that I think are JIS screws. The identifying punch mark appears to be a cross instead of a dot though. I haven't been able to find any reference to a cross instead of a dot, but the depth of the slots and the parallel sides tell me these are JIS screws:

RichardUrena
Noob
Noob

Post by RichardUrena »

It looks good. A touch of old-school to it. Would love to stroll my neighborhood with that.
janialambar
Noob
Noob

Post by janialambar »

Hey Vintage, it's really too good, and the interest in the scooter is increased to see it.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

The only OEM Honda accessory for the Super Cub is the chrome rear rack. Mine took a month to come in, but it was worth the wait:

There are at least two aftermarket very high quality matching rear seats available from vendors in Asia. I bought both of them. Here is one of them.

The other one is a bit nicer and has "Honda" silkscreened on the back. I don't have a photo of it mounted on my Super Cub as it arrived after I had already mounted the Prima top box. This is the second seat option (not my photo):

There also at least three different rear footpeg setups. I bought all of the OEM rear footpeg parts from Honda Japan, but haven't mounted them yet. To install them, you need to drill and tap the mounting points that are provided by Honda in the rear swing arms. This next photo isn't mine, but comes from another SuperCub owner who mounted the Honda Japan OEM pegs:

At least two aftermarket rear footpegs setups are available that mount to existing screws, as well as many other accessories. See:

https://beezdeals.com/product-category/ ... -cub-c125/

There is also an aftermarket center rack available on eBay that ships from Thailand:

I couldn't find a matching top box, so I mounted a generic Prima Red box:

That last photo is the way my Super Cub sits today. It now has the storage capability I need for running errands.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Soooo jealous, VG! So, whut'll she do? Press says 65mph?
You can always, you know...

Dude! Swap in a Dio!!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH