Baskets

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Brookehall
Noob
Noob

Baskets

Post by Brookehall »

I have an 87 Honda Spree and I’m looking to add a basket to the front of it. Does anyone have pics of what they’ve done for baskets? Has anyone put a tote on the back and have pics?
Brookie :coolcruise:
motormike

Re: Baskets

Post by motormike »

Hello and welcome to the site Brookehall.
I can't offer any comment here, but give it a minute and member "vintagegarage" will surely
have a butt-load of good info for you.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Baskets

Post by vintagegarage »

Reporting from North Dakota tonight..

Honda had a factory accessory front basket for the Spree, but they are fairly hard to find. The basket mounted on the also Honda accessory chrome front rack which is also hard to find. I have four Sprees, and managed to find a factory chrome rack and factory white basket for one of them. I had to make my own basket mounts for the other three. I welded up and painted homemade front racks, and used "C70 Passport" baskets sold for a pretty fair price on eBay. The baskets aren't really Honda baskets but are closest in appearance to original ones, and closest I could find to the correct Spree basket. The eBay link for the baskets in my original thread is now obsolete, so the current link to the baskets I used is:

HONDA C70 C50 C70 Passport Brand New Front basket

You can find three photos of the Honda original basket and chrome front rack at the beginning of this next thread as well as photos of how I built substitutes racks for my Sprees using the "C70" eBay baskets here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31785

After I found an original Honda chrome front rack, and Honda basket, I installed them on my black 86. Since the 87 Sprees had black rear racks, I painted the baskets black on them. In this photo of three of my Sprees, the white basket and chrome front rack on the black 86 are Honda factory, the black baskets on the 87s are Dollar General baskets painted black, mounted on my regular white Spree racks that I made as described in the above link:

Honda also had a factory accessory rear basket for the Spree. I have one of them, but removed it when I went to front baskets. The rear basket was huge. Even with a bungie net on top though, things tend to blow out of the rear basket and you don't notice them gone until you get home. Also, it is hard to reach back to the rear basket to grab a cheeseburger or dog treats while riding, which are easy to do tasks with the front basket. Honda sold the same rear basket for Spree, Aero, and Elite. The Spree rear baskets were painted white. There is at least one of the Honda original rear baskets for sale right now on eBay in a used condition. If you straighten it up, paint it white with a high quality urethane automotive paint, and put a Honda decal on it you will have the real thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-NB5 ... Sw1XNc0GV~

If nobody buys it before I get home, I'll probably buy that one.. not as rare as a front basket, but still pretty hard to find. This is what a factory rear basket looks like on a Spree:

I have seen Honda rear baskets with a straight top wire on the back, but the one in the above photo has different look to the rear top. I am not sure why. Until I saw that photo, I thought the rear top wire was straight.