fuel Problem

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

scottf15
Noob
Noob

fuel Problem

Post by scottf15 »

New here, thanks for adding me. Would anyone know why I have to suck on the fuel vacuum line to fill the carb after my 1985 scooter sits for more than maybe a week or so. After I do that the engine starts right up. Your help is greatly appreciated, this has been a on going problem ever since I bought it about five years ago.
bonesv

Re: fuel Problem

Post by bonesv »

scottf15 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:02 pm New here, thanks for adding me. Would anyone know why I have to suck on the fuel vacuum line to fill the carb after my 1985 scooter sits for more than maybe a week or so. After I do that the engine starts right up. Your help is greatly appreciated, this has been a on going problem ever since I bought it about five years ago.
The fuel is evaporating. You could slow down this process quite a bit by temporarily capping off the vent to the float bowl while it's sitting but you would need to remove the cap before riding it again.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Bones is absolutely correct, and I have the same problem with my stock-carbed Elite SR. I seem to recall a picture or a diagram of the lines plumbed into the carb/airbox assembly that presumably mitigate this evaporation effect. It's somewhere in the Factory Manual. Could someone please post it up if you find it?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
scottf15
Noob
Noob

Post by scottf15 »

Thank you so much for the info, It has really been driving me nuts
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

It’s a little nipple above the bowl area. It may have a hose on it already. If not, you can use a 6”-8” piece of fuel line to tone down the evaporation instead of blocking it off. Route it around the back of carburetor into the wheel area.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861