Honda Dio - issues/questions

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Legalizin
Noob
Noob

Honda Dio - issues/questions

Post by Legalizin »

Hi all - I bought a (2000 from what I was told) 50cc Honda Dio about 2 weeks ago, and am currently having issues. Flat land is ok, but as soon as I go up hill and hit about 35/40 km/h it loses all power and makes a nasty bogging out noise until I let off the throttle. I’ve cleaned my air filter, about to check the carb as well as the spark plug.

Now, i’m wondering if it’ll be ok to get an 80cc borekit for it. I’m going to order a borekit sometime this week and drop it off at a local shop for them to install and also do a tune up. Any help/comments would be appreciated.
Attachments
1F612523-F3A7-4EAD-B7CE-C32CF02B94EE.jpeg
1F612523-F3A7-4EAD-B7CE-C32CF02B94EE.jpeg (319.92 KiB) Viewed 6172 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda Dio - issues/questions

Post by Meatball »

Figure out the issue before bore-up kit. Also, depending on which bore you choose you may need a larger carb, different air filter, different exhaust, etc...you cant always just slap on a larger bore and expect all other stock components to jive with it. Larger carb jets and an increase of oil in the fuel mixture is a given with any big bore.

Your issue of bogging while climbing hills could be as simple as flat-spotted rollers, weak contra spring or as serious as low compression due to bad rings/cylinder, as well as other possibilities. 35-40kph (20-25mph) is rather slow for even a stock AF18 up moderate hills. It should do a bit better than that in good running condition.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Legalizin
Noob
Noob

Post by Legalizin »

Meatball wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:57 pm Figure out the issue before bore-up kit. Also, depending on which bore you choose you may need a larger carb, different air filter, different exhaust, etc...you cant always just slap on a larger bore and expect all other stock components to jive with it. Larger carb jets and an increase of oil in the fuel mixture is a given with any big bore.

Your issue of bogging while climbing hills could be as simple as flat-spotted rollers, weak contra spring or as serious as low compression due to bad rings/cylinder, as well as other possibilities. 35-40kph (20-25mph) is rather slow for even a stock AF18 up moderate hills. It lshould do a bit better than that in good running condition.
It was running fairly good up until about 4-5 days ago. Kinda frustrating when I’m dailying it right now lol. But either way I have to take it in to get a tune up to get it running better. So it wouldn’t be good to get a bore kit right now? Should I order at least a carb with it if i do? Or just talk to the shop and get them to order the parts? My boss gave me the money for a moped to get to work everyday instead of taxis. He’s also hounding me to get the borekit, but I also don’t want to damage the engine anymore than it is with kit.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If your boss gave you money for a moped to get to work, then presses you to buy a big bore kit, it wouldve made more sense to buy a bigger cc scooter to begin with. Up-boring a 50cc reduces reliability and longevity overall. If this is your sole means for a daily commute to work, look for a larger cc 4-stroke bike. They get much better gas mileage and last many thousands of miles more than a 2-stroke before a rebuild.
Legalizin
Noob
Noob

Post by Legalizin »

Meatball wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:32 pm If your boss gave you money for a moped to get to work, then presses you to buy a big bore kit, it wouldve made more sense to buy a bigger cc scooter to begin with. Up-boring a 50cc reduces reliability and longevity overall. If this is your sole means for a daily commute to work, look for a larger cc 4-stroke bike. They get much better gas mileage and last many thousands of miles more than a 2-stroke before a rebuild.
I only had 900 to work with and got whatever was in my price range and since it’s 50cc I don’t need a license to drive it. Otherwise i would’ve gotten one with a bigger bore or cc. Only reason i’m looking to upgrade this one, but if worst comes to worst i’ll sell this one and get one with a kit already installed
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The cost of a big bore kit, the carb needed to run it, an intake, air filter, exhaust, etc....AND have it all installed/tuned by a shop...look to spend more than you paid for your scooter.

Thats not even touching clutch, variator, belt, gears, etc..

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Here's an opinion from a moderator.
There is no reason to add a big bore kit to your bike trying to make it for a reliable transport.
If you don't know WHY it is running badly, have a shop diagnose the problem and fix what's broke.
Very simple issues can cause the symptoms you describe, and can be fixed easily in most cases.
Spend your money wisely, throwing a kit at will not be your best choice....mm
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Consider changing the spark plug, clean/replace the air filter, and follow List instructions to disassemble and inspect the variator rollers, replace as needed.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
janialambar
Noob
Noob

Post by janialambar »

Nice Dio guys, congrats on it. Enjoy your ride so much.
janialambar
Noob
Noob

Post by janialambar »

The seat is ragged; you bought it from a others owner.