1986 Honda spree won’t start

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

SteveL011
Noob
Noob

1986 Honda spree won’t start

Post by SteveL011 »

I bought a 1986 Honda spree a few weeks back and for the life of me I can’t get it to start. It did not start when I bought it, but I put a new top end on it including new gaskets and rings, and the compression read at 80 lbs. you might say that’s not enough compression and I get that, but it’s still should at least try to fire shouldn’t it? I pulled the spark plug and put it on the frame and had spark, and I pulled the carb and deeply cleaned it. I put new reeds in at as well. I’m getting fuel and oil to the carb, as it has a shut off switch on the fuel line. If I take the carb off and roll it over, it seems the reed cage jumps out a little bit, like there might not be suction on the reeds. If I spray starting fluid in the air intake while rolling it over there’s no fire. I’ve poured a little bit of gas into the cylinder and still no fire. This is the first moped I’ve had or worked on, and any tips or advice would greatly help, I just want the thing to run
Wheelman-111

Re: 1986 Honda spree won’t start

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Check both ends of the crank for bad seals. If the rings and piston were installed correctly you should have compression Way better than 80, unless it's blowing out the sides.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SteveL011
Noob
Noob

Re: 1986 Honda spree won’t start

Post by SteveL011 »

Thanks, I’ll check them right away