Centrifugal clutch

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Dungan23
Noob
Noob

Centrifugal clutch

Post by Dungan23 »

On the 1985 Honda NQ50 spree is it possible to adjust the centrifugal clutch.? Having some issues with my scooter when it comes to first taking off..
Wheelman-111

Re: Centrifugal clutch

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No direct adjustability beyond altering the weights of the "legs" and the strength of the springs. If you dismantle the assembly entirely, it is possible to grind a few grams off the pivoting shoes for a higher stall speed. Some on this Forum report that springs from certain years of Yamaha Jog scooter clutches are close to the correct length, and are available in different thickness.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dungan23
Noob
Noob

Post by Dungan23 »

Alright cool thanks, has anyone had trouble with the clutch??
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

A clutch on any scooter will wear out over time and need to be replaced or repadded. You didn't specify what the issue was you are having, but we'll assume you are experiencing some slipping or it's not getting up to full speed or poor acceleration.

A temporary fix, is to remove the clutch bell and scuff up the pads as well as the bell so that it has something to bite down on.

If it is worn to the point that it no longer grips, you can have it repadded by this company here: http://www.jwpartsplus.com/jw-clutch-worx.html

They have repadded 3 of them for me with new kevlar, and mine work excellent.

You might also need a new belt, which, if you have it repadded, I would suggest replacing as well. What you need is Honda OEM Part 23100-GK8-870 which can be found in most any Honda online shop, your local Honda dealer, or other places such as eBay, and I think even Amazon. Price compare for the best deal, but make sure it is in fact an OEM Honda belt, not an aftermarket which can sometimes be of poor quality.

For a better launch (take off), you'll wanna consider changing out the springs. Yamaha Jog springs will work on the Spree, you'll want to use the heaviest ones you can find. I prefer 2500rpm Leo Vince. Only place to source some that I know of, is in the UK so shipping will take a couple weeks. You can find them here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401707497927 and you will want to use the YELLOW springs.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Could just be a broken spring
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Dungan23
Noob
Noob

Post by Dungan23 »

Appreciate the info, I’ll put it to use now.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The big coil spring forcing the pulleys together (the one behind the clutch), if broken, would result in a free-wheeling engine unable to transmit power to the gearbox and rear wheel. A broken CLUTCH spring - the three that pull the shoes to center - would result in a clutch that fails to DIS-engage.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH