Clutch problems

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vw1964
Noob
Noob

Clutch problems

Post by vw1964 »

Honda Spree engine runs great. New belt and new pads on clutch. Will barely pull a small hill. Runs ok on flat ground. It seems as though clutch is spinning. Does the clutch big spring need to be oiled to make it expand better when revving up? Thanks
Wheelman-111

Re: Clutch problems

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No oil belongs in the belt cavity what-so-ever! Is the "new" belt greasy? It and the pulleys at both ends must be dry for the belt to grip. If the inside of the clutch drum is slick, it will cause the same symptoms. Without pics it's hard to say.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Clutch problems

Post by Meatball »

The center clutch spring on the Spree motor doesnt open or close with revvs since theres no variable ratio pulley up front. Its a single gear system and the pulleys remain stationary at all revvs. The job of the center spring in this case is to simply keep tension on the belt to eliminate slippage. If you are experiencing belt slippage, check for an improper belt length/width, glazing on belt from slippage, greasy/dirty pulleys or possibly a broken/damaged/weak center spring.

Also, slippage could occur in the clutch with glazed/worn pads, glazed bell surface or clutch spring tension outside the serviceable range.

Figure out whats slipping and why...then its easy to remedy.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.