What to expect?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

harrysped
Noob
Noob

What to expect?

Post by harrysped »

So just got my SR going. Very simple setup with a bunch of cheap parts to I wasn't expecting much out of it. My goal was around 50-55 mph with decent low end.
So here's my list:
Malossi 70cc sport
CT intake manifold
Mikuni tm24
Some cheap eBay pipe (don't know the name sorry)
Koso variator
2k red clutch springs
16x42 gears

Top speed is right at 48-50 which I'm fine with just wondering if that's about right? And what could I do to improve the speed without breaking the bank with a better cylinder. Is there any porting I could do or something. I'm also still on the stock weights but it seems to be variating right. Any suggestions, flames, or feedback is welcome.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: What to expect?

Post by Meatball »

Cheap, Fast, Reliable...you can only pick two.

While youre certainly on the right path, your choice of parts could be a barrier. Choosing a pipe that matches your bore is critical. These items have peak output at certain rpm’s and fall flat on their face at others. For example: if your bore has peak horsepower at 9k rpms but the pipe peaks at 7,500, theyre constantly working against each other and will never achieve their potential at the same time. Forget porting unless you know what youre doing. More flow does NOT equal more power with these motors. Theres a delicate balance of timing, flow, backpressure, etc...carve out 1mm too much in the wrong spot and its garbage. Leave that to those with timing maps, flow chart numbers and years of experience.

What tuning methods are you using? Do you have a cht and rpm gauge? Have you done any plug chops? What main jet are you using? There may be more available power with some tuning. The Malossi bore should be capable to your target of 55mph, however your pipe may be holding you back in that department.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
harrysped
Noob
Noob

Post by harrysped »

I've got about 10 years in of experience with mopeds. So I've got the general idea down for sure. I do have a temp gauge. So far head temps are around 300-320 with a 200 main jet, 45pilot, and needle at the leanest setting. My target head temps will be around 360-380 so probably a 195, or a 190 main. I've done plug chops and its still rich. I expect by going down on the main to gain 2-3 more mph.

I dont know the specs on the cylinder or what rpms to expect. I also don't have a degree wheel yet. Anybody know the port timing of specs?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

200 main is much too fat, even for Mikuni. 45 pilot is in the ballpark. Try lowering your main jet size by 50 or more and raise the needle up. Watch temps like a hawk and lift at 375-380. Its not so much how high the temp gets...its how fast ir gets there
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
harrysped
Noob
Noob

Post by harrysped »

I'll keep going down inwith the main and see where it leads. I think the smallest I have at the moment is a 170. I was planning on trying the 190 today anyways. Ill put it in and drive a few miles since its a new cylinder then go lower again. I figured it was pretty rich with the needle having to be lean. I'll report back later