My '86 Gyro so far...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

guzzispree
Goped
Goped

My '86 Gyro so far...

Post by guzzispree »

I've pretty much completed the cosmetics on my Gyro. All I'm really trying to do, is simplify it visually. I disliked the huge, stuck-out-on-stalks directionals. The sticker festival that it was plastered with. The rectangular headlight. The reflectors stuck on the frame's sides. The gold on the wheels (which contributed to the use of just too many colors). The too-apparent ape hangers that their chrome finish highlighted. So. A new headlight. New directionals ($15 for all, on eBay). Painted handlebars. Painted wheels. Removed the reflectors. No stickers except for the rear fenders, which I haven't quite finished. BTW-the bike started out as red. Wring your hands, if you must...I'm a guy who is crazy about keeping things original. This time, I just couldn't help myself. Now...if there was only a way to get it to accelerate better. Any/all advice along those lines would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Front wheel.JPG
Front wheel.JPG (249.47 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Rear lights.JPG
Rear lights.JPG (198.63 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Front lights.JPG
Front lights.JPG (197.42 KiB) Viewed 5426 times
Wheelman-111

Re: My '86 Gyro so far...

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sweet details, Guzzi! Now can we please see the whole Enchilada?

As for acceleration on a Gyro, I have no direct experience but Forum enthusiasts have trimmed it down to three easy steps:

1. Roll the Gyro into the bed of a 2019 Ford Raptor pickup.

2. Floor it!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am Greetings:

Sweet details, Guzzi! Now can we please see the whole Enchilada?

As for acceleration on a Gyro, I have no direct experience but Forum enthusiasts have trimmed it down to three easy steps:

1. Roll the Gyro into the bed of a 2019 Ford Raptor pickup.

2. Floor it!
whats the third step??? lol

as for going faster, the gyro S has the better faster porting and final drive ratio.... im making an adaptor similar to the spree and 85 nb50 carb adaptor that others sell to mount a dio reed block for my gyro to use when I come up with a bbk….
as for bbk (big bore kit) an express bbk will bolt up but its too tall/long by at least 7-8mm. I have a derbi metrakit bbk machined for a honda. express or hobbit. its the shortest one ive found and its too tall. I cant find a tall enough to make it work. im debating milling the cylinder to work or??? ive also researched the puch Peugeot pgo and piaggio. pgo exhaust flange will hit cases, Peugeot is a little too tall and cylinder bolt spacing is a bit off but could be fixed also has a 12mm piston pin. so does the puch. the piaggio ciao looks to be really close. need to find a little more info before I rule it out though. anyone reading this with knowledge of these other platforms, please message me or chime in. there has to be something that will fit these slow * gyros. theyre so much fun but with a bbk, they could be awesome.
as for the stock cylinder. ive had a little up in power by widening the exhaust port and raising it a mm. and using a domed spree piston instead of the gyro dished piston.
this is all I have so far..
as for you problem with protruding blinkers, I hate them too. I have JDM front signals in the headset and JDM tail light with built in blinkers. same for my 85 and 86 gyro S's. I have jdm tail lights with the built in blinkers. have a couple extra rear light assemblies if your interested. shoot me a pm. maybe we can work something out..
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Here is another option, and you'll end up with a kickstarter as well:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,4178241

If you really want big pain, swap in a GY6 150 engine with variator/belt drive transmission from a Xingue XY150ZX. No kickstarter, but you should be able to go 60mph with no sweat. LOL

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/xingyue_xy150zk_2011.php
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

Here's a throw-together of what it looks like, so far. No decals on the rear fenders, just yet. The seat needs recovering - doing it in a saddle tan of some sort. And the side reflectors were all shaved. Thanks for the offer on the JDM lights - but I'm ok with what I've come up with. The bike started, ran ok before I took it apart - though I discovered that the piece of tape wrapped around the spark plug wire was hiding the fact that maybe only two strands of wire were still unbroken. Might account for some low power, you think? Also - I can pretty easily turn the engine over (not much resistance) by turning the cooling fan. I'm thinking my compression might be too low? A bigger carb, bbk and an exhaust would be nice. I'm not interested in high speeds - just better acceleration. Those choices posted by vintagegarage are interesting. IF I could weld/do machining - who knows what could take place? I'm interested in what you come up with, harleyracer.
Attachments
IMG_0791.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG (136.47 KiB) Viewed 5399 times