Weight limit for a heavier rider 1987 spree stock

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

TheCatsMeow
Noob
Noob

Weight limit for a heavier rider 1987 spree stock

Post by TheCatsMeow »

I am very close to purchasing my first spree! A used 1987 stock , I’m a heavier rider , about 5’10 230lbs, what can I expect performance wise? As it runs right now, it runs 33 miles an hour top with a 200lbs rider, since I’m a heavy man, will that be drastically put down? (Note) I will be using this spree to travel on a 55mph road to work. I also plan to add the spree pulley and belt from scooterswapshop, is getting the spree a good idea for these standards? Thanks, with love from North Carolina. :smile:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Weight limit for a heavier rider 1987 spree stock

Post by eclark5483 »

The pulley will kill your acceleration, not recommended to drive on a road where speed limit is 55, you can impede traffic, or worse, get hurt. But to answer the question, being a bigger guy will absolutely slow you down. On my Spree, I can pull it to about 42 tops with my weight (320lbs), but then I am using a BBK and taller gears. Friends who are at the 180lb or lighter capacity have gotten the bike to close to 50. A 230lb rider can expect maybe around 30-32 mph on a stock Spree. The pulley might gain you about 5 with some good tuning, but again, like I said, your bottom end will suffer. So WITH the pulley, I'd expect you'll get around 35-37mph.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hello and Welcome TheCatsMeow...please don't buy that Spree. I think you will end up being a statistic.
You need so much more to ride in hiway traffic.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

NO. Problem with Spree is the 1 speed transmission. The pulley kit will likely make the bike slower. You need a bike with a variator so it can start in low gear and shift up. And for 55MPH operation you need a larger bike... a 150cc bike (or larger) would be a better starting point.

My personal minimum for highway operation is a 500cc motorcycle, with full riding gear, FWIW, and I weigh ~180.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
TheCatsMeow
Noob
Noob

Post by TheCatsMeow »

The only issue is that I don’t have a license and can’t get due to some personal issues. We have vigilant cops here so I can’t exactly do an engine swap and go much much faster.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I don't know about North Carolina law, but here in TN, you can't ride ANY SCOOTER without a valid drivers license.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"