Starter gear noise?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Legshangingfree
Noob
Noob

Starter gear noise?

Post by Legshangingfree »

I have an ‘86 spree, recently acquired. Finally got it running; new carb, throttle line, battery, plug, oil changed (pump confirmed working at output).

There’s a rattle noise that I think may be the starter gear. Kickstart works as does electric start. No problems or screeching noises.

I’ve watched too many videos but the sound does appear to mimic that of a bad starter gear on a motorcycle. Haven’t been able to find a video of a spree or any moped for that matter with the sound. Only how tos on replacing, after describing a noise but not recording it.

Am I able to post a short video clip of the sound here?
Legshangingfree
Noob
Noob

Re: Starter gear noise?

Post by Legshangingfree »

I’ve tried locating a replacement gear but only luck is a used one on eBay. If someone has a go to for these parts, please share.

I’ve used:
Cheap cycle parts
Bike bandit
Wincycles

Thanks for any help!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Is there a gasket behind the belt cover? This 0.8mm of space is factored into the kickstarter castle spacing. If missing, the teeth can make a light contact. One other thing to check is for a loose metal cooling shroud or muffler heat shield somewhere.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Most sprees Ive dealt with have a bit of “ring rattle”. Really only heard at idle or medium revvs. If its that, ignore.

Also see if theres any obvious signs of excessive metal rub inside the belt cover. Possibly the pinion isnt retracting all the way and rubbing the drive face teeth.

A sure way to eliminate possibilities is to remove the kicker cover, remove starter pinion...and start the motor with a drill on the crank nut. See if you still get the noise with these items removed. Be careful with rotating parts while doing this. Only try this at your own risk. If youre not confident in your ability to do this, do not attempt.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.