Project: Gyro

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Cubey
Spree
Spree

Re: Project: Gyro

Post by Cubey »

Well I mostly there engine on ebay for $165 that seems like it has good compression (based on turning the engine by hand) and isn't rusted to *. The 2nd gear part isn't sezied up like the one on the bike was. I have new OEM Honda seals and bearings on the way that I probably wasted money on, unless I build a second engine. put them on ebay, or just keep them for spare parts. I do know it needs the oil pump O-ring at the very least. Plus the carb seal set for the original carb from the old crap engine.

I do need to clean out the transmission though. Someone put grease in there, so I was told. It's a bit gritty/grimy but not rusty. It's turning fine on the drive shaft (2nd gear) and crankshaft (1st gear) Independently, so nothing is seized up or sticking together.

I am gonna try to clean it out with 10w30 first by doing several oil changes, turning it by hand a good amount to circulate the oil in between the changes. After the first 2 or 3 manual changes, then I'll take it out riding it a few miles a time or two, then change it again.

If it's still too dirty after that, I will try some diesel and manually turn the drive/crank by hand. Failing that, I guess I will have to take off the RH cover. Not a huge deal but it means I have to reseal it with RTV or a hand made paper gasket, which i want to avoid if possible. I'd rather use a few quarts of cheap 10w30 than have to try to reseal it.
20200619_131047sm.jpg
20200619_131047sm.jpg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 5808 times
motormike wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:51 pm Yeah, that tank is probably toast.
I have extra rear brake hubs.
What is your zip code?
So you don't have to go looking for it again: 71854

I am going to be needing them, the seat and whatever else in the next month or two I guess. I only need one of the rear drums/hubs since the RH is still in decent condition, at least in my opinion. The front has a brake shoe material pad stuck to it (it came clean off the shoe) which should come of with a screwdriver and mallet, but it's pretty rough otherwise. Do you happen to have some good old used brake shoes too? Two sets were damaged on here due to being stuck to the drums: front and LH. RH is fine, same as the hub/drum.

I need to get a new front throttle cable, but I can get that for $13 on ebay. Plus a battery (~$25 on ebay) but I am trying to bring the old battery back to life first since it costs me nothing to try.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

i have a seat, a front wheel, a couple fairing covers and jdm tail lights if interested. shoot me a message.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Okay Ben...just noticed the reference you made in this last comment.
Since harleyracer59 is also offering parts, not sure how this will play out.
I have seat, hubs, wheels, front and rear, and probably good used shoes.
I suppose it would be best for me to assemble parts,take some pix, and forward to you.
Also, I just found and joined the "Gyro" page on facebook...be seeing you around....motor.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

motormike wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:27 pm Okay Ben...just noticed the reference you made in this last comment.
I suppose it would be best for me to assemble parts,take some pix, and forward to you.
Also, I just found and joined the "Gyro" page on facebook...be seeing you around....motor.
Sounds good. Thanks.

Whoever has more of what I need makes the most sense, since I won't have to pay shipping twice.
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

motormike wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:27 pm Okay Ben...just noticed the reference you made in this last comment.

hey mike. you were the first to offer and wasnt sure if you would have all the needed parts. i was just saying i had parts also if there was something he needed and you didnt have. wasnt trying to step on toes or ahead of your guys transaction. sorry about that.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

harleyracer59 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pm

hey mike. you were the first to offer and wasnt sure if you would have all the needed parts. i was just saying i had parts also if there was something he needed and you didnt have. wasnt trying to step on toes or ahead of your guys transaction. sorry about that.
Yeah he spoke up first and it sounds like he has more of what I need, so that's why I said what I did.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Here is a video of me turning over the replacement engine by hand. Sounds like it might be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcD43asqOgU
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Okay, I'm 99% sure it's a 16mm x 1.0mm thread based on my measuring. Maybe 1.5mm works too since there aren't many threads on the petcock nut side, but it might tear up the tank's threads.

In the next day or two, I will go to a hardware store and buy an M16x1.0mm nut and try that on the tank's threads. If that fails, I'll get a 1.5 and try that instead. That is better than trying to guess the threads at $7-10 per try with petcocks. I already checked my box of misc hardware and I didn't have any nuts or bolts in 16mm.

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll go pick up one of these for $5. Useful now and useful in the future: https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-Metric-T ... 1000357783
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Okay, I was wrong. It is 1.5mm pitch. I picked up the thread pitch gauge today. It was worth $5.xx for that handy little tool.

I just ordered this petcock. https://www.ebay.com/itm/262638270589

I am hoping that I can make it fit without butchering the plastic body cover. I'd rather leave the plastic cover off than tear it up, which is what I'll do if it can't fit behind it. Yeah I won't be able to reach it, but it's only four 10mm bolts and two big philips screws to take the cover off, so no big deal if I ever have to switch to reserve on the side of the road.

At the Walmart next to Lowes, I also bought some deep clearance priced oil: a $7 gallon of synthetic blend 2 stroke marine oil and a $5 gallon of marine 4 stroke 10w30. The Gyro transmission calls for 10w30 and I need to do a lot of oil changes to clean it out without opening the case. My tiny generator calls for 10w30 too, so I'll get used up for sure. A steal of a deal on both!
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

It lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJdBSHb6arg

It still needs more parts before it can be ridden though: brake shoes, handlebar controls (broken/barely working), seat.

The Chinese carb is "good enough" I guess but it's touchy and I'm not sure if the bystarter even works at all. It did get the motor started though I can't fuss for the price. I might seek out a good used Honda carb and keep this one as an emergency spare.

The battery on this thing goes dead awful fast if you have to crank it much. The brake light element drains the battery HARD and you have to hold the brake ever to start it. Bad design IMO. I have the bulb removed right now because it's such a big problem. Even when idling, the brake element drags down the voltage hard. Moreso than high beam of the headlight! I dunno what that's about.

I will definitely have to carry a set of motorcycle jumper cables with this thing in the event that it has trouble starting when I'm out and about somewhere. After about 5 long cranks, the battery is too dead to turn fast enough.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

I have wanted a scooter stereo setup for years but they were more than I ever wanted to pay. ($60+) The price has gone down a lot in the past 10 years, and I got a deal on a "refurbished" one for $30 on ebay. Can't beat that! It looks new to me, so I dunno why they said that. Maybe a return from someone who just changed their minds? It doesn't look used or installed, so... I dunno. Maybe they tested it and found it not loud enough.

Here is a video of me testing it on a 4A AC/DC adapter in the house, using the Bluetooth feature. It has an FM radio and an aux input too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJbZtsnPns

I will be replacing the high wattage tail/brake light bulb (8W/23W) with a Sylvania LED (0.5W/2W) to help take stress off the electrical system with the stereo installed. I might do so on the turn signals too, if it behaves with LEDs. I have some cheap 1156 LEDs that fit the 23W turn signals already so I can test that without buying any. I'll also put it on a relay tied to the ignition switch, so the stereo will shut off with the ignition switch. It won't come back on automatically with the ignition switch so it won't draw down power when cranking. Just have to hold down the power button on the control pad to turn it back on. By default it's in BT mode, so that's nice. Easy to sync right back up to my phone without doing anything.

All in all, I think I am gonna love this addition. I won't be installing it for a while yet though. I need to replace the broken/bad handlebar controls first.
MrGoodwreck
BMX
BMX

Post by MrGoodwreck »

I don't know why, but this thread interests me 😂👍
09 Ruckus
85 Spree
86 Spree
09 Apirlia <---- Gone