finding lock number on 1984 spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

theshadow
Noob
Noob

finding lock number on 1984 spree

Post by theshadow »

I have the ignition out and am looking at some numbers on the body. Does this number sound correct B32A? A friend asked me if I could take a look at this because it has been stored for about 20 years and she can't find the keys. If anyone on the forum could reproduce this I would be in your debit.
Thanks for any help!

Mike A.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: finding lock number on 1984 spree

Post by Meatball »

Ive been down this road before. Took the keyless Spree ignition to a locksmith to have a key made and the lady tried to charge me $60 to have it done. Gave me some c@ck and bull story about how rare the key is or proprietary Honda codes blah blah...Nope! Took my ignition and walked out.

Just get one from ChopChop here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ ... SwE5BdNNCW

Then remove the tumblers from the seatlock cylinder so ANY key that fits in the slot can open it. Theres nothing to steal under there anyways and if you parked in such a shady area they just take the whole scooter!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
theshadow
Noob
Noob

Post by theshadow »

Thank you very much.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Try local Honda places. But depending on who works there, you might run into an *.

Here in this city I'm in at the moment, years ago they made me a Spree key for free, as I recall. They also made me Helix ones later on for a decent price ($3-4 per key).

Now in Tacoma, the one in-town ("Tacoma Motorsports") was a complete joke. They told me the key blanks were impossible to get for an Elite 250 and basically told me to to go away when I asked why they couldn't order key blanks when other Honda dealers can. So I went to a different dealer about 6 miles away ("South Bound Honda") in Lakewood, and they made the copy for me right then and there. I left a bad review for the Tacoma shop and the owner responded claiming that their key cutter wasn't working and that's why they told me they couldn't do it, which was BS.

So anyway, just take in your seat lock to most any Honda powersports dealer since the lock has the key code on it and they can cut a key from that. No need to pull the ignition switch off. Any lock will do.
Last edited by Cubey on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If you try that...report back the results.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
theshadow
Noob
Noob

Post by theshadow »

Thanks for the suggestions. I did manage to get two keys made at Peacock Motorsports. They used the ignition that I brought in. However when I was checking out (the keys were $20), the guy told me that I was supposed to provide proof of ownership otherwise they are not supposed make keys for you. Just so you folks know. I don't know but I would assume that all key makers should be asking for this information because of theft. Now don't get me wrong, but if I had stolen this spree I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't go through the trouble to take it apart to get a key made when it would be easier to just hot wire the thing! It's free.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

theshadow wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:24 pmthe guy told me that I was supposed to provide proof of ownership otherwise they are not supposed make keys for you.
That's a new one to me. The two different Honda dealers I have used never said that. I have had keys made for a Spree, a Helix, a Vino 125, and an Elite 250. The first 3 were keys all made by the same dealer but at different times. They are also Yamaha so they have parts/equipment for them too. The Elite 250 was a diferet Honda dealer on the other side of the country. Maybe it was because I already had a single key for each and just wanted a second one.

Did you not have a key at all? Maybe that's why. I typically rode the scooter to the shop so I could check that the duplicate key would work before I left. Keys are usually $4-5 from Honda dealers.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.