Should a noob take on a Honda Gyro?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

andyskater11
Noob
Noob

Should a noob take on a Honda Gyro?

Post by andyskater11 »

Hi Everyone,

So glad I found this forum, I'm inches away from purchasing a Honda Gyro 2000. I've never been a biker and have zero mechanical skills other than swapping out air and fuel filters in my old car, however I've fallen in love with the Gyro and it's certainly the perfect solution to my practical needs.

This one has been sat for many years, low mileage, No V5 (but I'm 97% sure it's legit), it only started electronically after a few kick starts and smells like it's burning too much fuel (although could of had the choke open).

What are these like to keep, is it likely to be the love of my life or a massive headache? Are the parts easy to find for MOTs and repairs or will the costs start mounting up?

Any insights much appreciated.

Andy
motormike

Re: Should a noob take on a Honda Gyro?

Post by motormike »

The Honda Gyro was never imported to the USA after 1986.
Any examples of Gyro-X, Gyro-UP, Gyro Canopy, and any other variant found in the USA had to be imported by individuals.
Having no experience with those models, specific faults and characteristics are unknown to me and most here.
You say "zero mechanical skills"...and that is a very critical element in scooter ownership.
Most bikes are easily maintained once sorted, but sounds like you had better have some help getting that Gyro into roadworthy condition.
Best of luck sir...motor... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
PacificRoots
Noob
Noob

Re: Should a noob take on a Honda Gyro?

Post by PacificRoots »

Did you end up buying the gyro?
1993 Honda Gyro X
NJ50MDP -- TD01E
TopSpeed Record: 63 km/h
ModStatus: 70cc Malossi BBK, 21mm PWK carb, DIO intake manifold, yellow clutch springs
ISO: Battery door cover; DIO forks & Triple Clamp, unmelted wiring loom