My Spree won’t start and I don’t know why.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Bokie35
Noob
Noob

My Spree won’t start and I don’t know why.

Post by Bokie35 »

Hello, I’m kind of a newbie to the Honda spree. I’ve owned other mopeds like Puchs and Motobecanes, but never any Hondas. Also please forgive me if I do or say anything wrong, still learning.

Anyway, I got my spree from a friend of a friend of a couple of months ago. When I first got it I was able to get it running in a couple of hours. I took it for a spin, it drove okay but it bogged when I tried to give it full throttle. I figured the carburetor probably had to be cleaned. I did that, making sure to clean it very well because I had read it had very small orifices. I put the carburetor back on and decided to spray down the bike with my pressure washer because it was very dirty. I did that and immediately after the bike would not start. I just assumed I had gotten water in the intake somehow. I pulled the plug out and turned it over a bunch of times. Then I let it sit with a heater blowing on it and the piston at bottom dead center. After that the spree still wouldn’t start.
After this point I really didn’t have much more time to work on the spree. It’s sat in my shed for about two months. I’m now finally getting back to it. I decided to pull apart the top end and give it a cleaning because it needed it. At close inspection of the cylinder I found some minor scoring. I decided to replace it with a brand new cylinder because the friend that I got it from had already bought one. The engine now has great compression. It just won’t start. I can’t seem to figure out what’s wrong with it. I’ve got great spark, great compression. The stock air filter is on because I know that’s important. I’m still a bit iffy about the carburetor, but the engine won’t even sputter with any starting spray. If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be it would be greatly appreciated.
Wheelman-111

Re: My Spree won’t start and I don’t know why.

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Can you confirm gasoline is getting to the cylinder? "Great" compression? What PSI are you reading? (Hold throttle open wide or remove the carb to check.)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH