Reviving an '86 Spree (again)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

kmack
Noob
Noob

Reviving an '86 Spree (again)

Post by kmack »

This will be my introduction thread and the back-story to my wife's 1986 Honda Spree that she has flatly refused to get rid of! :hi:

My background: I've been into motorcycles (especially 2-strokes) since junior high school (early 80's). I've rebuilt 6 out of 7 motorcycles, so I have some knowledge...(at least a little!)

She bought the Spree from a college friend shortly after we moved into our house in the sumer of 1996. It had sat for at least 4 years then (that we knew of).
A quick cleaning of the gas tank and the carb and I had it running. We got it tagged/licensed, she got a Class M on her license, and then never rode it.

Some years later, I went thru the process again a few years later when we picked up an early-80's Suzuki FA50. We had a little scooter gang roaming the neighborhood! Sold the FA to a poor college student from across the street, and then the Spree sat again.

When I started racing my 240Z, the Spree transitioned into a sort of pit bike for a couple years. But then got pushed into the corner of the garage, again.

So here we are today, and I'm going down this same road all over again. The last time the Spree ran was at least 6-8 years ago (I know, I know...). At least I didn't leave any gas in the tank! Some fresh fuel, cleaned the carb as best I could for a quick try at starting, checked for spark, a little squirt of fuel down the intake, and it fired up! Bogged a little at heavy throttle, but it idled (roughly) and stayed running. But it was just enough to get me a 100 yds down the street before it stalled.

The plan:
Wife wants to use the Spree as a campground bike for use with our motorhome. We'd like to carry it on a hitch-rack off the back bumper. Easy enough. I plan to go thru it a lot more than I have in past years, and since we are later-on in our careers and have more disposable income than in our previous life, I can throw parts at the Spree more than I could before.

We replaced the seat cover early on in our ownership and it is still in great shape. Body panels are intact, but could use a refreshing (paint or other type of clean-up). Stickers are there but ultimately won't survive. Only panel missing is the little fuel petcock cover under the front of the seat.

Currently, the carb is soaking in B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner as the air screw is the only port I couldn't open up. It's been in the can for 4 days now. I need to get ahold of a rebuild kit for the carb at a minimum (if the air screw port opens up), or a new carb for worst-case.

I will be replacing the fuel petcock as I don't trust it completely. I do have vacuum at the intake port when cranking the motor over. Filter is toast.

The foam air filter just about crumbled this time (we have replaced it before, but age is unknown). A new one will be sourced.

I checked resistance on the Bystarter and it came in at just over 5 Ohms (FSM says 10 Ohms max for operation).

Fuel tank is clean and the sender is working properly.

Lights work when the battery has a charger on it. Battery is 15 yrs old (maybe) and will also be replaced. I had an issue with the blinkers not working the last time I had it running, but never really figured out why. They light up, they just don't blink. At one point, they were blinking rapidly, but even that stopped. I'm thinking the relay, but that's a problem to fix much later down this road.

So there's the intro and back-story! I'd never run across this site in years past, but then again I never thought to look either. But here I am now! :)
For parts, where are the best places to order from? I've seen where the Admin of this site has some things available so I'll buy there for sure. Any ideas on availability of new/reproduction stickers? I'll need new tires also. The tubes are holding air, but these are probably the original tires from '86! :nervous:

Anyway, here are some pics ...

(in the background...)

September 1985 build date...

motormike

Re: Reviving an '86 Spree (again)

Post by motormike »

Welcome kmack... :hi:
As for parts, depends on the item needed.
As for stickers, several threads exist on this board regarding repros.
Tires are everywhere you would expect to source them.
I don't do Sprees, so I can't tip you to any specifics.
We have some members who are well versed on Spree.
They are sure to chime in to help with any questions you have.
Keep calm and carry on...motor... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
kmack
Noob
Noob

Post by kmack »

791 original miles...

I worked on the carb the other night and got it started, but it still doesn't run long before stalling out. Going to order the air filter, fuel petcock and the o-ring set for the carb and see where that takes me. I've got nuthin' but time...
kmack
Noob
Noob

Post by kmack »

Finally got some parts in this past week, including a new battery.

Now just need to find some time and do a little wrenching!
kmack
Noob
Noob

Post by kmack »

Well, it's taken a while to get there, but she's a runner now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhTi6dVHB00

After getting the carb cleaned out pretty good, I put it back on and tried to get her running. She was hard to start, but would run (just barely) and fuel was pouring out of the carb bowl. When taking it back apart for the new gaskets/o-rings, I noticed that the float had fuel inside it. There was no obvious entry spot, so I assumed the seams just leaked over time. I drilled two tiny holes (0.5 mm) into the plastic float and drained it out. It was definitely old fuel. To seal the holes back up, I used a soldering iron and melted them closed. I also went over all of the seams on the float to try and keep this from happening again. (I will order a new float in the near future just in case)

With the carb put back together it was time to get her running again. She fired right up! A little bit of adjustments to the carb and the idle is strong and smooth. Running thru the neighborhood, I can get about 31-32 mph (indicated).

Next on the list of "To-Do's" is cleaning up all the body panels. There are years of dirt and "other stuff" on them and it's going to be a process to get them cleaned up correctly without damaging the plastic or (what's left of) the stickers. I got the rear panels cleaned up pretty good so far.

Image Image

She won't go back to perfect or original as that's not our goal. We just need her to run good and be presentable.
Everything is working good now except for the turn signals. The relay just buzzes when you turn them on, so I need to see about a replacement relay.

Once those are fixed and we can get ready to get her registered again for the street ('98 was the last time she was street legal), then I'll get a new set of tires put on. I need to get a hitch rack for the motorhome now... :coolcruise:
kmack
Noob
Noob

Post by kmack »

Figured out the turn signals the other day. It was the flasher relay that had been the problem all along. Wish I would have checked that years ago when they first started acting up! A $7 flasher relay (LL552) from Autozone fixed the problem.

Next item on the parts list... new tires!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Looking good, and thanks for supporting the board!
These are my favorite color Spree.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
kmack
Noob
Noob

Post by kmack »

noiseguy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:29 am Looking good, and thanks for supporting the board!
These are my favorite color Spree.
Thanks, and it was great of you to send me the parts! Thank you!
stphnclrk1181
Noob
Noob

Post by stphnclrk1181 »

It's looking good for a 35 year old. No need to refurbish the looks as long as it's running perfectly.
kmack
Noob
Noob

Post by kmack »

Thanks!
brooks
Noob
Noob

Post by brooks »

I know you said the seat is still in good shape, but they have replacement Spree Special covers on eBay

BB0EBD39-16A7-46E8-AFBB-3AC91BA3463D.jpeg
BB0EBD39-16A7-46E8-AFBB-3AC91BA3463D.jpeg (406.89 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
brooks
Noob
Noob

Post by brooks »

Also, before peeling the decals and painting it might be worth it to try a $10 can of Maxima SC1:
34BB6DDB-D647-4C56-B54F-93ABF5B319FA.jpeg
34BB6DDB-D647-4C56-B54F-93ABF5B319FA.jpeg (266.01 KiB) Viewed 4711 times