Spree Stator Issues

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Spree Stator Issues

Post by PinkSpree »

Hi,

I recently bought a 87 Spree project and have just finished reassembling it, however, I am getting no Spark and the Scooter will not start as a result. I have replaced the ignition coil and still nothing. The headlight does not turn on when you kick it and the blinkers and brake lights work perfect aside from a burnt out turn signal. The wiring harness appears to be in good shape. The scooter has sat for the last 10 years.

This leads me to believe that the issue is with the stator system. I'm not sure if it is the actual stator itself or if it is only the pickup. My intuition is just to replace everything.
Does anyone have advice on the issue? and does anyone know where to find a new stator or if one from a dio will fit? I can only find expensive used ones on ebay for the spree and they all appear to be in rough shape...

Thanks! :peace:
I don't think my spree could outrun a mountain lion... :coolcruise:
87' Spree
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree Stator Issues

Post by eclark5483 »

It's probably the pickup. I'd just do a "WANTED" ad here and over on the "HONDA SPREE RIDERS ASSOCIATION" Facebook page and see if anybody has one for sale: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2200893207
PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Post by PinkSpree »

Thanks for the tip, do you know of resistance specs on the oem pick up so I can pull it off and test it prior to pulling the trigger on a new one?
87' Spree
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

It's in the service manual found here in the wiki. Also, there is a guy on YouTube who recently did a video talking about the electrical system, it's a pretty good watch and very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-7KTGP-8vM
PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Post by PinkSpree »

Thanks!
87' Spree
PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Post by PinkSpree »

Alright so I checked the pickup coil and it gave me a reading of 120ohms... In spec. Looks like I'll be spending plenty of time with a multimeter over the weekend
87' Spree
PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Post by PinkSpree »

Ok, I checked the all the possible resistances from the manual and everything is to spec. I even popped the fly wheel off to check the stator visually and it looked good. The only thing I haven't checked is the engine kill switch. The starter works and cranks the engine, just no spark... Could it be this?
87' Spree
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

? Did you check the CDI? B/c those blow out all the time, and I don't see you talking about that commonly-failed part. Fortunately sort of a generic item. I've never seen / heard of stator coil going out on these; system's just not that demanding + ppl don't ride them for hours on end. But I've replaced CDIs several times. Just checked; about $10 shipped. DO NOT BUY RACE CDI, just get the generic item, the "race" ones are trash.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Post by PinkSpree »

Noiseguy, the cdi is brand new, I bought the malossi one off of scooterswapshop before doing my due diligence and just buying a stock one... I tried putting in the old one and there was no difference. Maybe I just got unlucky and have two bad ones. Did the same with the ignition coil. That being said, with them being new they should work just fine or at least give me a spark...
87' Spree
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Have you checked your wires and cap? Spark plug cap on these unscrew, and should be clipped / rescrewed in every so often.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Post by PinkSpree »

Sorry for disappearing for a while, life gets in the way. Are you saying the little spark plug cap should stay on the screw or should be removed?

Thanks!
87' Spree
PinkSpree
Noob
Noob

Post by PinkSpree »

Ok so after it sitting in the garage all winter I finally figured it out. The wires to the coil were swapped with the wires to the oil level sender. I had checked them about a hundred times and verified them as correct as the manual has them as green when I realized the the ones on the oil level sender were green too. Sure enough after swapping them the little beast started right up.
87' Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

Mr. PinkSpree:...it is a Honda consistent = Green wire is earth (or ground)
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"