Honda spree petcock cover.

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

partsmakerguy
Noob
Noob

Honda spree petcock cover.

Post by partsmakerguy »

I am looking to determine if the Honda spree petcock cover is a good candidate for part production. I would be making a high quality injection molded part from ABS plastic or a more flexible alternative. I would love to have some feedback. We are in the pre-production phase and are looking to get your opinions about demand, materials, colors, fitment, mounting hardware etc. I would likely make a first production run of 1000 pieces. Shooting for a price point of $20-$35 depending on a few things. Probably on the lower side though. Thanks for any help that you can provide in this area. Also, If you know of other parts that are in higher demand and lower supply please let me know. I will put them in the discussion with my company about future products.
motormike

Re: Honda spree petcock cover.

Post by motormike »

partsmakerguy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:16 pm I am looking in to the feasibility of making a few spree parts. The obvious ones are the petcock cover and the floor mat. Your opinion on these two items? We are starting with the petcock cover this week. I'd love to know what the forum members think? Price point? It would be a high quality injection molded plastic part. Possibly ABS or a more flexible alternative that is appropriate for outdoor use.
I've quoted from the comment you left on a thread. That comment was off -topic and deleted. I have answered here instead.Both items have been produced and sold in the past, more than one person has engaged in this effort. To be sure, member bradmeehan was the primary maker, but not answered his thread lately. Can't quote from memory any of the others. I remember $25 being going rate for a petcock cover. Not only those two items, but also gloveboxes have been reproduced. Gyro "S" owners are in need of some parts as well. Two common items they want are "battery cover and engine cover". Just sayin'....motor... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

Yes please
partsmakerguy
Noob
Noob

Post by partsmakerguy »

Wow, thanks for the feedback so far. I think $25 is an acceptable price point. I would offer them in red and black. No paint necessary. Just matching the original color. I think that the ones that have been done so far are poured silicone mold and 3D printed. Much lower quality. We would be making a tool and injection molding them to the original manufacturers' quality and materials or better. Initial costs for the first run would be around $7000. They would be available in perpetuity. We would not stop making them, as the tool can be used for 100,000 parts at least. No way that many will sell in my lifetime. Probably a few hundred a year max. But the tool would pay for itself in a 2 year time frame. The problem of the petcock cover shortage would be solved permanently.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The Spree fanatic in me says “yes, make them! Finally some petcock covers we so badly needed! I’ll buy one right now!”

The rational business-minded person in me thinking of a $7000 investment with a 2yr break even projection says...”are you fkn crazy?!?”

The profit margin per piece is simply too small as well as the demand. You might sell 20-30 or even 50 if youre lucky and then it will just die. The number of Sprees left are dwindling as well as the people who care about restoring them enough to buy a petcock cover. Most just want to get them running or make them go faster. Those that care about looks are in the minority.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I am happy to echo Meatballs comment.
My history with this forum supports his projection.
I doubt you would ever recover the initial cost.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Meatball and motormike are correct.. you will be lucky to sell 50 of them..
SpreeDave
BMX
BMX

Post by SpreeDave »

I had a guy 3D print a petcock cover for me as a “one off” and it didn’t turn out too bad. He owned and operated a local 3D printing company so his set up costs were minimal. As the saying goes “looks good from far but far from good” but it makes the Spree complete.

He charged me $25.
colemanrider
Noob
Noob

Post by colemanrider »

For what it’s worth I’d purchase a couple. White would be nice.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Theres a guy on facebook in a group called "lovers of honda spree" make a post in there and someone will tag him. If not someone will 3d print you one. If not then someone will have a oem used one. Lots of members in that group.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship: