New to the board

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Mr.Dave
Noob
Noob

New to the board

Post by Mr.Dave »

Hello, I used to have a Honda Elite, then a Honda Helix, then onto a Honda Rebel....I dropped that one because a jackwagon didnt have tail lights on his car and had stopped right after the rains. I almost made it but fishtailed and tapped his bumper which was enough to send the bike in a slide with me in its wake. Lets just say I survived slightly damaged thankful for no traffic behind me and thankful to my helmet...which I never thought that touched the pavement until I looked at the back of it. Enough about me, Im actually here because my daughter is 25 and doesnt have a drivers license nor the funds for a car so we are looking at scoots so she can practice on in parking lots and then eventually get her scooter/mc lic. Baby steps towards getting her car, this way she has mobility. Any suggestions on what she should be staying away from. Obviously Im a Honda guy. I want to keep her under 2K. Thanks for any advice folks.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: New to the board

Post by vintagegarage »

Please update your location in you profile, so we know what state you live in. Many states will not require a motorcycle endorsement on her operator license if the scooter is under 50cc. I'd recommend a first generation Honda Metropolitan. 2002-2009. Have a look at this link:

https://www.motorscooterguide.net/honda ... azz-chf50/

They have simple four-stroke engines and are very reliable. The 2006-2009 are more sought after than the 2002-2005, but the early ones are fine. Top speed is around 37-40 mph. Add the factory accessory rear chrome storage rack and the factory accessory knee basket, and put an inexpensive top box on the rear rack. You should be able to easily find a used Metropolitan with a title and in good running condition with low miles for under $1,000.

Then enroll her in a driver's ed class that supplies their own cars, and will let her use one of the school cars for her drivers test. Once she gets her operators license with the school automobile, then depending on the laws in your state, she will be good to go riding the Metropolitan to work and back.

In Florida, you can ride an electric scooter on the highways without any driver's license as long as it has pedals. Top speed will be about 20 mph, and if that is sufficient, you can buy a new low quality TaoTao electric for well under $1000 and it will come with an included rear rack and top box. See:

https://www.superiorpowersports.com/Tao ... sc-501.htm

If you decide to go that route, make sure to call the vendor and ask if they are in stock and ready to ship before ordering one. Also, verify with your DMV if they can be ridden on the streets in your state without a drivers license before buying one. The only reason to buy one is that you can ride it without any drivers license. If that doesn't apply in your state, don't buy one. 20 mph is better than walking, but not by much.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

No drivers license means no riding on public roads...no matter the cc’s. Get that girl a license STAT!

If a license cannot be obtained, I suggest an e-bike. Mine goes about 30mi on a full charge and goes about 23-25mph. Cost about $1600 and will get her around just fine. No license required in my State since its considered just a bicycle but check your local laws. Some States have restrictions depending on how equipped the unit is.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

HELIX ! ! since you already know them. Good storage, low ride height, ample power and speed for most applications.
Stay away fro CFMoto Fashion and Q-Link Commuter.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I think Mr. Dave is one and out..
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Meatball wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:08 am No drivers license means no riding on public roads...no matter the cc’s. Get that girl a license STAT!
Not true in all states... 49cc scooters in SC are called "DUI scooters" by locals b/c you can operate one on roads, legally, without a license... after you lose it b/c of DUI. At least was case in 2007...
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Mr.Dave
Noob
Noob

Post by Mr.Dave »

Nope, Mr. Dave is still here, been checking daily and havent seen anything including my post so I assumed it was getting approved. None the less it is here. I updated my info Thank You for that catch. These are great suggestions. My daughter actually said to me tonight that she thinks she needs a cdl in order to ride the scoot arg. She cannot afford a car and ins etc, the ins. she will have but the car is totally different, I would feel better honestly if she were on something more along the lines of a scoot hmmmmm. We have to get a cdl then I guess thats what we do. I will check into your suggestions. Thank You.
kmack
Noob
Noob

Post by kmack »

Welcome!
Typically, "CDL" stands for Commercial Drivers License and is used for driving vehicles for business purposes. Such as large trucks. California may have a different acronym for CDL, though. In Texas, my CDL (Class A) allows me to drive a large semi-truck, but I haven't used it in a few years.

Vintagegarage makes a good point about getting your daughter enrolled in a Driver's Ed class. TX requires a driver to have a Class C license (regular car license) before you can get an M (motorcycle) or K (scooter) endorsement on your license.

Looking AAA site, it also looks like CA also requires a Class C license before getting the Class M2 (moped) endorsement.
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/types-o ... -licenses/