New owner need tire info

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Theebigguy
Noob
Noob

New owner need tire info

Post by Theebigguy »

Just bought a 85 Spree..Runs great but needs tires and tubes..I plan to ride it on my property most of the time which is dirt and a lot of thorns...I do plan on riding on the street..But what tires and tubes would you recommend that just might slow down the thorns...Thank you.. Anyone know how to make the dull red color come back to life?
motormike

Re: New owner need tire info

Post by motormike »

You have a real problem trying to stop punctures from thorns.
There are "solid" tubes for most size bicycles, but I found nothing in 10 inch that would cross-over to Spree.
Definitely install "knobby" tires for best chance.
As for bringing the RED back to life, use the SEARCH feature on this board with key words like "fade" and "paint".
There are some methods discussed here. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11464&hilit=paint+fade
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The more aggressive off-road tire you go with to reduce thorn punctures will greatly diminish safety for street use. No way Id be leaning into a turn on knobbies. Askin for trouble there.

Dont waste your time trying to polish or wax your panels...its not paint. Thoroughly clean it with simple alcohol and finish with a good rubbing of anything that adds a shiny coating. Even armorall.

There may be guys that have a 400-step process to fully restore panels to museum quality but in my opinion, its more fun to RIDE it than give it a full detail after every run. Id rather spend my time in the saddle.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Bottom line is: you are always going to get flat tires riding in thorns.
I like WD-40 to rub on old plastic, Armor-all too. Back-to-Black is good stuff.
Heat gun works it up some, but doesn't last long.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"