Kickstarter Jamming

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeMania205
Noob
Noob

Kickstarter Jamming

Post by SpreeMania205 »

Hey everyone, the Kickstarter on my 1987 Spree was skipping and grinding and all that jazz so I took it apart and found out that both the big semi circle gear and the other smaller gear were both missing teeth. Long story short is I replaced both of them and lubed everything up really nice. However once I put the case back on the spree I can get 1 good, smooth kick out of it before it jams and locks into place in the upward position. If I remove the whole case and the put it on again I can get 1 more good kick before it locks again. When the kick start assembly is off the spree it works just fine and I can work the kick starter freely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think I read some place that if I am missing the washer that goes behind the snap clip (or ring, I don’t really know what it is called) that hold the Kickstarter in place that that could be the issue? Has anyone ever heard of that happening
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Kickstarter Jamming

Post by Meatball »

Double check the diagram below and be sure you have all the pieces. If you replaced the half-moon gear then you had to remove the snap ring (#13) on the outside that holds it in place. The washer under it is vital. Be sure the snap ring is fully seated in it’s groove. Those can be a pain to fully snap in correctly.

Your issue is likely the relationship between part #2 and part #3. Reasons that cant be diagnosed without having it in front of me. Seems to me, when you bolt on your belt cover they are engaged, giving you one kick and it gets stuck. Figure out why there isnt clearance between the two.

Test this theory by installing your belt cover (dont kick the leg down at all, just install the cover) then go to the other side of the motor and remove the fan cover. See if you can spin the fan freely by hand. You should be able to rotate the motor with the only resistance being some compression at top of stroke. If its locked up…your #2 and #3 are touching. Return with findings.
Attachments
AFF1B820-4F47-46BD-8D92-B65DD0D42638.jpeg
AFF1B820-4F47-46BD-8D92-B65DD0D42638.jpeg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
SpreeMania205
Noob
Noob

Post by SpreeMania205 »

So when I got home from work today I tried to kick start it after parking it with it jammed up last night. To my surprise I got one kick out of it and then it jammed again. I then took apart the entire kick assembly and double checked that I have every part and washer, which I did. I then put it back on and took your advice and turned the fan cover. I could easily do that and felt the compression at the top of each stroke so that tells me part #2 and #3 are not locked together. I then tried to kick it again and I got 1 kick out of it. So I turned the fan a couple times and could get another kick out of it. I did this for about 5 minutes and i could get 1 kick out of it every time but that was it. I then removed the spark plug and noticed it was covered in oil. It seemed way to oily and had a red tint to it. With the spark plug removed I could kick it over as many times as I wanted without any jams or odd friction. However, once I burned the oil off the spark plug and put it back in the piston it went back to only giving me 1 kick at a time.

On another note, I also topped the oil tank off with new oil in between the last time I rode it and now that I’ve been having troubles.

It seems to me like there is way to much oil getting into the cylinder? But then why can I turn it over using the fan but not the kick starter?
sculpt
BMX
BMX

Post by sculpt »

This is quite interesting. I am having the exact same problem with my Aero80. Waiting and hoping to see if any solutions show up.
SpreeMania205
Noob
Noob

Post by SpreeMania205 »

I haven’t had a chance to work on mine yet but I think it may be the oil pump. I’m guessing that while it sat for the last 2 months that the diaphragm got stuck in the open position and is letting my cylinder fill up with oil. Gonna drain the oil and gas tank and run premix to see if that fixes the problem.