How to start old Honda Elite S (SA50)

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dulak2006
Noob
Noob

How to start old Honda Elite S (SA50)

Post by dulak2006 »

So I have a 2001 Honda Elite S (SA50) that I drove when I was young. Its been sitting in storage for 15 years now and would like to give to my son. What all do I have to do with it to get it started and which parts need replacing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wheelman-111

Re: How to start old Honda Elite S (SA50)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Huh-Boy, this is a long one. Check WikiSpreedia for detailed instructions. Here are some highlights:

Chances are the oil pump seals have failed and a drop of oil a day has made its way into the crankcase. That's over 1800 drops, and perhaps enough to hydro-lock the piston if you try to crank it. That oil needs to be evacuated prior to operation or there will be Smoke. Visible from the moon. Best is to drop the engine out of the frame, remove the spark plug, set the piston to top dead center, remove the reed block and lay the engine block on its left side for a few hours, in a catch basin. You could try threading a 4mm hose through the reed port and connect to a vacuum source, but it's hard to get it all out.

Unless you completely drained the fuel tank and ran the carb completely dry of fuel, your float bowl (and possibly the fuel tank) will contain a solid block of Epoxy by now. I have been there, done that with a 1987 Aero. Search The Beast :twisted: , circa 2008. It is possible to clean the mess out of the fuel tank and carb if you have infinite patience and a few weeks to devote to the process. Otherwise I have a pretty nice fuel tank with a functioning vacuum valve I can sell.

The Air Filter will crumble like burned toast if handled. NoiseGuy (our esteemed founder) sells excellent, better-than-stock replacements for a song.

Even if the tires appear to have good tread, do not allow the urchin to ride on them. They are at least 16 years old and rubber that age can delaminate even if they appear perfectly fine. Same goes for pretty much all the hollow rubber bits you see under the saddle storage bin, fuel, oil and vacuum lines. Respectively 5mm, Unknown, and 4mm replacements are needed. Inspect both crank end seals for signs of seepage, too.

Of course the battery will be a toxic paperweight. Check the steering head bearings for slop when you pull the front axle fore-and-aft and address this before anyone tries to ride, assuming you've come this far. Lubricate the cables if sticky. Use commercial cable lube available at any motorcycle shop.

That's all I can think of for now, good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Albie007
Noob
Noob

Re: How to start old Honda Elite S (SA50)

Post by Albie007 »

Odd... mine was sitting for 7-10 years, and needed only routine stuff you'd expect to do when sitting..

removed the fuel tank, rinsed it with fresh fuel, cleaned out the carburetor, new plug, new air filter, new brake cables and BAM!! running like a champ!