86 Lollipop Green restoration

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

JRD56
Noob
Noob

86 Lollipop Green restoration

Post by JRD56 »

Hello, I’m a new member who recently aquired an 86 Lollipop Green Spree. Its pretty rough but I plan to retore it. I’ve got a lot of experience restoring such things but could still use some help. Does anyone know if the decals for this are availble? Also is there a paint code for the white and green colors. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Jim
Wheelman-111

Re: 86 Lollipop Green restoration

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome to Honda Spree. You have a rare and worthwhile project to begin with. Pics? (We like pics...) There is (was?) a Member who was making Reproduction stickers for any scooter Honda (and others?) made printed onto adhesive material. His post may be at the top of one of the Forum categories, have a look.

Scooter plastics are ABS, and the color is molded-in through and through. There is a Color Code sticker, look under the saddle on the gas tank. But since the plastic parts were cheap, the intention was to replace, not repair or paint, broken ones. So there may not be a paint you can just buy in a can that'll match perfectly. In any case, be advised that it can be challenging to get paint to stick to this material, especially the stuff of which the floorboards are made. It would be a Minor Miracle to find the plastics in New Old Stock, but you can try to search using the part numbers.

I recommend you keep it as stock as possible. Some mechanical parts are getting tough to find, but someone here always seems to come through. (Except of course for a replacement America Red Elite front cover I'm trying to find...) :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JRD56
Noob
Noob

Post by JRD56 »

Thanks for the reply. I knew this was rare which is why I thought it was worthy of a restoration. I can get my local paint store to match the color, he is pretty good at that. I’ll ask him for any advice on painting ABS. Maybe using an epoxy primer.

I’ll look for the posts on decals.

I’m looking forward to the restoration and learning some new skills.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Where are you located? You can add whatever you want to your Profile.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JRD56
Noob
Noob

Post by JRD56 »

Here are a few pictures of my Spree, actually it will belong to my wife.... It spent its entire life as a pit bike for an NHRA Drag Racer so most of the time it was in the trailer. I suspect it was packed in with other equipment which is why the sides are beat up a bit. I was surprised to find the original owner manual under the seat. It appears to be an "Iowa" version, is that typical?

I also saw a "Color Label". Is NH-138 the paint code for Shasta White/Lollipop Green?

I'm told it was running when it was parked in 2017. I've got a new battery on order and will hopefully getting it running before I tear into it.

NOTE: I'm having trouble posting pictures, I'll get them posted when I figure it out.
JRD56
Noob
Noob

Post by JRD56 »

Ok, here are a few photos
IMG_9090.jpg
IMG_9090.jpg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_9083.jpg
IMG_9083.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_9082.jpg
IMG_9082.jpg (36.84 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
kingyachan
Noob
Noob

Post by kingyachan »

Oh dang, I love it! I hope the resto goes well, you got this!
motormike

Post by motormike »

JRD56 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 am It appears to be an "Iowa" version, is that typical?

I also saw a "Color Label". Is NH-138 the paint code for Shasta White/Lollipop Green?
"Special Edition" Spree with your 2-tone scheme were sold everywhere.
"Iowa" edition not adding anything to the value or rareness of them.
Iowa edition is restricted, not as fast as the other 49 states.
Our member eclark5483 is the man who can give you some good advice and more accurate history of Lollipop Spree.
(Pic for view counter)
Attachments
Elite e.jpg
Elite e.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"