Confused about the Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Albie007
Noob
Noob

Confused about the Spree

Post by Albie007 »

Hey guys,

I had some doubts about the Spree and I was hoping you guys knew the answer.

I bought my 86 a few weeks back from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from the original owner (no title). I cleaned it up and she now runs like a champ with only 1800 miles (waiting for a rear brake cable and they I'll put her body work back on).

So I live in California, and while it was a bit of a pain to get her titled and registered to me, I finally completed it today. Here's my doubt:

DMV registered it as a motorcycle (based on VIN and previous reg), so I got a plate with tags and registration for her which is nice. I paid about 220 for registration, and I asked her if this was a moped.. because of less than 50cc and under 30 mph. I'm also unclear about Insurance, do I even need insurance in CA? I called LAPD and spoke with an officer, he said that if I got a registration for it and planned to operate it on city streets, I would need registration.

I thought I didn't need insurance, and I suspect that DMV made a mistake as to how the labeled the Spree.. The nice thing I guess is that I have an M1 and so it doesn't matter too much.. but did it get registered correctly? and is the thing a moped or a scooter? Do I need to insure her?

Ughhhhh!!

thanks for the help!!
motormike

Re: Confused about the Spree

Post by motormike »

Sorry to hear about this confusion, but you're in California, so you should be accustomed to stupid motor vehicle stuff.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Albie007
Noob
Noob

Post by Albie007 »

HAHAA!! it's TRUE!

I'll try to go in again and see if they'll register it as a Moped, there's no sense in paying 140 annually for registration!!
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

Wow $140 a year? In Michigan its $15 for 3 years!