Help me build my 88 Honda elite e please

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Help me build my 88 Honda elite e please

Post by Caspervolas »

I have recently purchased a 88 Honda elite e, i want to build this thing to go 60-70 mph. Has anyone done this on a similar moped and if so how? I want to know what parts I should get to achieve this so I can have a straightforward planned build.

Thanks!
motormike

Re: Help me build my 88 Honda elite e please

Post by motormike »

Caspervolas wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:16 pm I have recently purchased a 88 Honda elite e, i want to build this thing to go 60-70 mph. Has anyone done this on a similar moped and if so how? I want to know what parts I should get to achieve this so I can have a straightforward planned build.

Thanks!
I welcome you to this board Caspervolas... :hi:
Your wish to build a bike doing those speeds is ambitious, but very doable.
It will take several dead presidents, and some talented people to make it happen.
The engine in your bike is probably the venerable "AF05E"...and is not the best candidate for achieving the speeds you want.
You will be better trying to find, install, and modify the later model, "AF16E"
The journey you are starting is not an easy one, but many have gone before, and their stories are HERE, on this forum.
I suggest you search and read everything you can find before making any decisions.
I am NOT your best source for info, but several members here can steer you in the right direction.
Trafficjamz is one of our senior members with a great record in builds.
Bakaracer is another...but there are a whole lot of them to name...most are no longer active.
Bear45-70 is also a senior member who has recently returned to the forum, and he holds plenty of 2-stroke knowledge.
Good luck sir and we are watching....motor... :urban:
Note: If you want to be accurate, your bike is a "scooter" and NOT a "moped". Mopeds have pedals for starting.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

There are a few ways to skin this cat. All require a different motor than the one that comes equipped on the Elite e. The motor of choice that can achieve your goal is the Af16e, as mentioned by motormike. Although, no motor will just “bolt right on” but the Af16 is the closest you’ll get with minimal fitment hurdles. In stock form, that motor will push your scoot about 40mph. Upgrade essentially every component with the correct parts and you’ll be doing 60-70.

Dont forget to do brakes. Stopping from 70 is kindof important and the stock front drum isnt up to the task.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Post by Caspervolas »

Do people modify these motors at all? It’s a sb50p, I was looking on scooter swap shop and there are some upgrades on the pre 94’ section. Will any of these upgrades work on my engine?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

no and no. For you to get 60-70 mph, follow motormikes advice. Also take a minute to edit your profile to indicate the state where you live, and you may find some local help.

Speaking of modifying the AF05E engine, what happened to eclark5483? Haven't heard from him in a couple of years. I hope he didn't die. I never read a "signing off" post.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Oh, I'm still around. Focus more on my YouTube channel and work than anything. Still have the Sprees, even have a 3rd one in the works with low mileage on the block that I'm gonna one day send on over to Joe Daniels to do his magic on it. Don't plan on being as gentle in the riding with the 3rd one as I am with the other 2. Really wish winter would hurry up and get over with, all my vehicles in the garage need a good ride and stretch. My daughter upgraded to an Icebear Q6 trike to rod around on, sold off her pink scooter, the dude bought it for the tricked out engine upgrades. She loves the new trike. Put a huge * trunk on the back for her. Thing holds tons of groceries. I used it for Door Dashing a couple times over the summer. We had a BBK installed in this one as well.

motormike

Post by motormike »

Thanks for jumping in eclark...glad to know you are well and present.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

Caspervolas wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:43 pm Do people modify these motors at all? It’s a sb50p, I was looking on scooter swap shop and there are some upgrades on the pre 94’ section. Will any of these upgrades work on my engine?
No, the SB50 came with a non-variated engine and is closest to the Spree. You will need to find an AF16 or AF18 engine to swap. You will also need to relocate the shock mounting position, I think SSS sells a bolt on kit if you do not want to weld your frame. Just did this swap about two years ago.