fuel vacuum line

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

zpyroro
Noob
Noob

fuel vacuum line

Post by zpyroro »

New here, thanks for adding me. Would anyone know why I have to suck on the fuel vacuum line to fill the carb after my 1985 scooter sits for more than maybe a week or so. After I do that the engine starts right up. Your help is greatly appreciated, this has been a on going problem ever since I bought it about five years ago.
Wheelman-111

Re: fuel vacuum line

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

It doesn't say where you live, but I'll bet it's hot!
Carb is tiny, bowl vent allows for some evaporation, and gets to a point where the Jets can't suck enough fuel for combustion.
The various lines that cover the vents on a new scooter help a bit, but I have them and have the same issue you do, especially in summer.
It's just Honda-san's way of making you ride every day!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
AKAspree85
Goped
Goped

Post by AKAspree85 »

I had this problem with my '85, it turned out the little rubber "hat" where the throttle cable goes into the carb didn't fit right allowing for the the gas in the carb to evaporate more quickly, but not enough to cause issues with it running.
My babies, '99 Mazda Miata (Henry), '22 Genesis G70 (Sofia), '85 Spree (Lil' Red Riding Spree), '87 Spree (The Rat Rod), '80 Honda XL250S (Barney)
Rideslikenacho
Goped
Goped

Post by Rideslikenacho »

Mine does same, tried adding a bulb style primer to the vacuum line to pull suction and that didn’t work. On the afternarket carbs I ‘believe’ that back/engine side has a vacuum line on it. Maybe could add a Y shaped fitting and run a line to the manifold vacuum and also the carb vacuum to pull more suction. I’ll be trying this next.