Help with Spree please

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

A13X
Noob
Noob

Help with Spree please

Post by A13X »

First post and new to the boards . Hope this is a ok place to start
Been tinkering and riding this spree 2/3 years . But throttle cable broke on me . Stuck at wot all the way home sat a week untill new one came . It started back up alright at first . But again got stuck at wot . I went threw the cable and isn’t that . …. New plug , cleaned air filter . Their was a Tiney air leak In the exhaust manifold to the muffler I can see bc I can see it’s now leaking just a bit of gas after cranking it a bit . All the vacum is their but no bang . Even with a lil bit of gas in the spark plug hole .
Im almost sure the float is stuck . I’ve been reluctant to take it off to give it a good clean cuz I knew gas was getting to the engine . And more so the person who owned it b4 mixed up their skrews it’s on right now it’s tight but when I take it off the threads are gonna be shot . So the gas situation and the no bang with spark compression and everything . Should I be consider timing , valve gaps? Or get the carb off and worry about the threads and reconnecting to get it clean .
Might be stupid ? But I know theese things are finicky monsters . Thanks for any help pics later
motormike

Re: Help with Spree please

Post by motormike »

Welcome to the board A13X... :hi:
I've moved your post out of the Gyro thread and placed it in General Discussion for now.
Your Spree questions are not appropriate in that thread, but that's okay, newbies are allowed plenty of leeway here.
Good luck with your scooter getting straightened out....motormike
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

Sorry about that … that’s where I thought I was adding the post to ..general disc. Thanks
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Theres no adjustable timing and theres no valves. Yay for 2-stroke! A leak at the muffler connection will make it run rough or with reduced power but still run, so thats not your problem either. Being stuck at wot means unregulated air is being introduced…somehow. First check to see if the carb barrel is fully seated down at 0% throttle position. Do this by removing the airbox tube from the carb and simply looking in. If the barrel is up at all, maybe the throttle cable is routed incorrectly with too sharp of bends, kinked or its the wrong cable and too short. Another vital piece is the spring on the cable between the carb cap and barrel. That spring is what returns the throttle to 0% when you let the grip go.

If you have determined that the carb barrel is fully seated and freely moves up n down when you blip the throttle, you have an airleak somewhere else. A common place this happens “all of a sudden” are the crank seals. Sometimes they pop out without warning. Other common leak spots seem to happen progressively over time and get worse if ignored until it goes kaput.

Before you dig into a potentially stripped carb situation, check these things and report back your findings.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

Alright . Update …. I again cleaned tank and fuel after a successful carb removal and good cleaning and very tricky putting it back on but it is and with no leaks . Speaking of air filter . The filter I’m using isn’t stock but have used it for years with no problem . I tried to start her up and still the engine moves freely but isn’t chugging or sounding like it wants to turn over . The muffler is blowing out air . Idt enoph to pop my finger off rn but at the spark plug hole def will pop my finger off . Plug is coming out clean with some gas on it . Got good spark .but no bang even if I prime the sparkplug with a drop of gas . I checked to make sure the needle was returning and seated properly althou I will need to swap out throttle cord due to burs . Theirs enoph free play to pull it by hand then see it seat .All is well with above mentioned . My exhaust manifold still is leaking slightest bit of gas after trying to turn her over a few times . The crank seal was kinda on my list but is another section I’m not too savvy with . Any tutorial or general how to would be great help .
Oh and yea ur right with the timing and valves ….duhh. Lol but I thought their was a magnetic sensor Under the stator I can advance or retard the ignition timing ? Does that require flywheel pull? Getting really frustrated. I love my spree and really hope it has a lot more life than 6k miles
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

I tried posting pictures where exactly it’s leaking . Keeps saying file too large? And a video. Here is another symptom that may help diagnose……. So when I give it a kick with the plug in it turns and moves free like it wants to start. But when I pull the plug and turn the kick starter ( seing that it wasn’t flooded . ) it sounds like a real chug n putter . Not like it’s turning over but sounding like spinning way better or how a failed kick start attempt usta sound . I am trying my hardest not to give up n Buy a Chinese peace of crap with the little $ I got so I’m Mobil again .smh
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Could be a bad CDI. Dont buy a cheap replacement since those are typically junk. Get a good OEM used one and try it.
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

Would I still get spark with a bad cdi? Would cdi matter too much if I rely on Kickstarter?
Battery’s been weak for a while with enoph juice to turn the starter slow and for horn to work. But I’ve ran it like that a while . Could this be a battery/ cdi issue ? I’m about to check crank seal but am nervous .
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

Maybe I’ll plug it into the trickle charger and try cranking it over first . I figured if battery was strong enoph for horn and to turn the starter motor it would supply enough for a strong enough spark. Is this incorrect? ESP if the cdi is bad ?
motormike

Post by motormike »

A bad CDI will kill your spark...fact
RideRed
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

A13X wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:26 pm Plug is coming out clean with some gas on it . Got good spark .
If both of these statements are true, it should at least cough when cranking. Even if you have an airleak, dead battery, etc…fuel and spark will go boom. Other factors will make it not start, start and die or run horribly but at least with fuel and spark it should sputter and clear it’s throat.

Having fuel is easy to spot if the plug comes out wet after cranking it a bit. Im leaning towards no (or weak) spark. The CDI governs this function and theres no way to test the unit. Replace it.
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

K I am ordering a new one tonight . If anyone has any sources better than Amazon . I’m open to suggestions . Thanks for weighing in and all the ideas where to start . I’ll update you guys on everything as I go. I did overnight trickle charge I’m gonna see if that shows any difference after work . I’ll wait to check the crank seal . It showed no symptoms of that before the problem . And Honda dealer ordered me a air
filter . Thanks again everyone .
motormike

Post by motormike »

Meatball wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:45 am Could be a bad CDI. Dont buy a cheap replacement since those are typically junk. Get a good OEM used one and try it.
A13X...DID YOU READ THIS ^^^^^^^????
RideRed
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

Yea sry…. SMh . hoping I could find a good source for parts on Amazon and not too cheap of a replacement.. but think I can get one local, maybe.
Charged battery cranked it good for a while . Had real good spark when pulled out and I checked again . Plug came out with oily gas on it.
Idk . Looking for my tools and I’m gonna open the crank case and check the seal .
A13X
Noob
Noob

Post by A13X »

Went threw everything again and sprayed some gas in the spark hole not much of anything . Still waiting for oem airfilter . But when I sucked the vacuum after few more kicks finally got a backfire . Idk if vacuum is strong enoph or if I do have enoph compression my tester was kinda giving me issues . I assumed I had a enoph by my thumb popping off . But idk . Anyway I opened the case and it was lined with a sediment of sludge. And I’m going in for the crank seal . Expecting this must be it . I hope .