Big Bore Kit for 1985 Honda Spree

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

andrew_v
Noob
Noob

Big Bore Kit for 1985 Honda Spree

Post by andrew_v »

Hi all,
I have been reading up on big bore kits (I have also seen & gears) a lot. I do have some questions about them.
1. Is it even possible to buy them anymore?
2. Is it possible to install them without doing an engine swap?
3. I am a complete noob. Will this help our hurt the bike?
4. If still available and a wise choice, where can I buy one, and for how much?

Thanks a ton in advance!

:peace:

Andrew
Andrew
The Spree Guy
"Life would be more fun
if everyone drove a moped"

1985 Honda Spree
- Speed Pulley from SSS :woot:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Big Bore Kit for 1985 Honda Spree

Post by Meatball »

Installing a big bore kit on a spree motor opens a very large can of worms. Its not as simple as bolting one on and suddenly having more power/speed. All of the remaining components of the spree motor are designed to operate with the stock bore so introducing a larger one would require upgrades across the entire spectrum. Carburetor, intake, exhaust, airbox, etc….see where Im going with this? All of these upgraded components (if you can even find them) will cost many hundreds or could even eclipse $1000 after youre done. The end result, if you choose this route, would be a Spree that does basically what many other scooters do in stock form out of the box. Dollar for dollar its simply a losing path of sorrow and frustration.

Better choice #1: take whatever upgrade money you have and buy a better motor to swap into the Spree. The best and easiest would be an AF16e. This would make the Spree do 40+ and you can upgrade that motor quite easily.

Better choice #2: take whatever upgrade money you have, SELL your Spree, then buy a better scooter with the proceeds. Honda Elite or Ruckus, Yamaha Zuma, etc…there are many. Dont buy any off-brand Chinese import junk. Stick with Japanese or Italian.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
andrew_v
Noob
Noob

Post by andrew_v »

Ok Meatball, thanks!

For the engine swap, I do have some questions.
1. If you can, could you please tell me the process of the swap?
2. Where to buy/cost?
3. Would any other parts need to be upgraded?
Thanks again for your help in advance!
Andrew
The Spree Guy
"Life would be more fun
if everyone drove a moped"

1985 Honda Spree
- Speed Pulley from SSS :woot:
motormike

Post by motormike »

andrew_v wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:09 pm Ok Meatball, thanks!

For the engine swap, I do have some questions.
1. If you can, could you please tell me the process of the swap?This process is strictly dependent on what engine you are going to install. Each one will require an engine mount specifically designed for that engine, and numerous other changes of wiring, cables, shock mounts, and various other component changes to accommodate function.
2. Where to buy/cost?Also dependent on engine choice.
3. Would any other parts need to be upgraded?Yes, this process is not for amateurs and requires knowledge of scooters to an advanced degree.
Thanks again for your help in advance!
Life would be easier if people knew the difference between a moped and a scooter.
Spree is not a moped, it is a scooter.
Moped has pedals like a bicycle to start the engine.
I suggest you find someone close to you that can help you with diagnosing and repairing your Spree.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

As MotorMike mentioned, the swap details are all exclusive to what motor you choose. The easiest to swap in would be another 2t Honda motor of the same general era. For example, an AF05e from an 87-93 Elite or Aero, or an AF16e from a 94-01 Elite. However, even the easiest motor to swap requires being handy with fabrication and welding skills. Its not a task to cut your teeth on, for sure.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.