New to sprees…1996 Honda elite 50 advice

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Cbrianroll
Noob
Noob

New to sprees…1996 Honda elite 50 advice

Post by Cbrianroll »

Good day all. Thanks for letting me join.
Just got a 1996 elite 50 with 921 miles on it. It starts drives and stops but I am unsure of any maintenance so I will be hopefully be reading up on what I need to do today. I imagine typical, plug, oils, drive belt?, etc. If anyone would like to give some pointers, tips, etc…..it would be greatly appreciated!
I know it’s a preference but any advice on injector oil…brand and type, air filter brands, etc would be great.
Thanks, have a good day!
bonesv

Re: New to sprees…1996 Honda elite 50 advice

Post by bonesv »

Welcome to the forum! You should first remove the air box cover to verify you have a properly oiled, intact air filter in it before you ride it much. It should be spongy, oily and not all in sticky little pieces trying to get into the carburetor! Typically, I use either Honda GN2 oil (hard to find) injector/premix oil or, I have in the past, used Yamaha 2cycle (for air-cooled engines) injector oil. I shy away from any gas station brand or generic oil just on principle. You get what you pay for. I use NGK spark plugs exclusively. Air filters, NGK plugs are sold right here on this forum by our forum Administrator, Noise Guy-See Board Index Link at top of page. There are a plethora of members that sell various accessories and necessities in our pages also. Throttle cables and brake cables, some of which are no longer available at a dealership, can be obtained thru our member Taz over on eBay site "chopchop*123" but it's easiest to just search "Honda sa50 elite brake cable". You may first want to visit our helpful pages in the "WkikSpreedia" found on the board index link for methods and pictorials and service manuals and links to other helpful places. Here is the air filters, spark plugs ... http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Welcome to our favorite place to gain knowledge of these really cool old bikes! See you around! Cheers!
:peace:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Cbrianroll
Noob
Noob

Post by Cbrianroll »

Thanks you very much for the welcome and info! I saw that link on on the main page, I’m sure I’ll be ordering a filter and plug within the week….I like to start fresh and know where I’m at. I’m totally on board with “you get what you pay for” I have a few other motorcycles and cars that I wrench on frequently. I read somewhere that the GN2 was probably the best so that’s in a cart already lol.
This is my first non bomber two stroke so I wanna treat it good. It has a bit of body burn on it….I’m trying to figure out the best fix for that…sand and body wrap? Sticker bomb? ….lol
Brady

Post by Brady »

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this link. It will also be very helpful as I am looking for a candle for my Honda.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

900 miles in 27 years?! SCORE!!
Ah, but cosmetics make or break the deal. Post up some pics for advice on repairs. NOS plastic parts are hard to find. Aftermarket knockoffs are brittle junk, but with care can be installed and made to look OK.

I recommend you check the date stamps on the tires... 3395 means the tires were minted sometime in late summer of 1995, or 28 years ago. Can we all agree that tires that old are unsafe at any speed? New tubes are Highly Recommended as well. The transmission belt is made of rubber too. Cheaper to replace if it isn't shredded. If it runs at all, someone must have seen to the carburetor already? In a scooter this old the rear brake cam in particular is prone to seize. If that happens, it leaves a long strip on pavement. And underwear, in my experience. Sounds like you know what to do. Welcome.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH