Oil in carburetor

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Racer71
Noob
Noob

Oil in carburetor

Post by Racer71 »

I took the air cleaner off my 1989 Honda Elite 50 and noticed oil that puddled in the back of the carburetor, is this normal?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Oil in carburetor

Post by Meatball »

A leak is not normal but most of the time its nothing to worry about. Could just be seeping from the oil line connection from the reservoir. If its leaving puddles on the floor, then I would be concerned. I would start by using a de-greaser and cleaning everything up really well. Run it for awhile and take a good look. The leak should be easy to spot. Hopefully not a blown base gasket.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Racer71
Noob
Noob

Post by Racer71 »

Thank you, getting a new stock air filter and should I dip in oil and ring out or just install right out if the package?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Oil it for sure. I always use the same 2-stroke oil used in the engine. Drizzle some oil on it and squeeze it in your hand with a paper towel. You want it oily but not sopping wet. Dipping it in oil is excessive.
Racer71
Noob
Noob

Post by Racer71 »

Thank You
Racer71
Noob
Noob

Post by Racer71 »

One other question, where do you think I could install a shutoff valve for the fuel take, where I can shutoff the fuel when I store it and I can get to the shutoff valve without taking the sides off
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Ive seen people mount them in the seat bucket. Pop the seat for access. I didnt get a look at how the fuel line was routed tho. There are pictures of it buried somewhere in the bowels of these forums Im sure.
Racer71
Noob
Noob

Post by Racer71 »

Again, thank you for your wealth of knowledge, just give me an idea on how to do something and I can most likely figure it out
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If storing the scooter for a long winter, I recommend draining the tank completely, then run the engine until it stalls. A dry carb won't gum up over the winter and require a carb cleaning. If you do get a fuel shut-off installed, measure out some Stabil and put it in the tank to preserve the gasoline, then shut off fuel and run the carb dry as above.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH