What is safer???

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

2fast4u
BMX
BMX

What is safer???

Post by 2fast4u »

My mechanic gave me a talking to the other day about putting my Spree on the road...

Told me that the small wheels on a scoot are really bad as far as handling, especially when you hit any kind of bump or pothole. His thought was that motorcycles are alot safer... more power, better handling, braking, etc.

My thought is, if I am only going 25-30 an hour anyway, on the side of the road (because in NJ you have to allow faster cars passing room)... I dunno, it just seems safer than being in the thick of traffic at 50MPH. Even if the Spree does have small tires...

Any imput or thoughts???
Cold grinding grizzly bear jaws, hot on your heels...
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

I thought scoots were illegal in NJ unless they had pedals, you can't do much on a spree as far as oversized tires & beefed up suspension but as long as you keep up with traffic you will live longer.
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

The Spree is legal but it has to be titled and registered as a motorcycle and I have to get a motorcycle license... just finding this all out now and it is a real pain as they already allowed me to do both as a moped! But I know, with my luck, the second i get pulled over by a cop he'll tell me my paperwork and plates and stuff are all wrong so I'm just gonna do it the right way now and get it over with. I think Jersey is like the only state to be this ridiculous...

Say anybody have any more input for me on the whole safety issue?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i dont know, really motorcycles i guess are safer pending were you live.
better speed alows you not to be passed by every thing. and what he said dose make alot of sence

how ever living in a place like were i do i wouldnt want a motorcycle , were i live its all rednecks and retards.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
skaltpunk
Goped
Goped

Post by skaltpunk »

interesting ideas... i think a spree is indeed generally less safe than a motorcycle. although, your chance of dying on a spree is much less than on a motorcycle. it comes down to how dumb people in their big cars can be and how disrespectful people are of alternative modes of transportation. i feel less safe on my bicycle than on my spree because my bike is less visible and doesn't have mirrors. all it takes is some jackball on their cell phone to wander onto the shoulder and send me flying and probably at least paralyzing me. if you are fortunate to live in a place that has bicycle lanes, you are lucky.
2fast4u
BMX
BMX

Post by 2fast4u »

Jersey may have the most discourteous drivers of the nation... we are kinda the armpit of America. Any more thoughts on the whole "little tire+pothole=death" theory that my mechanic gave me... gotta admit he kinda freaked me out....
KHPower
Goped
Goped

Post by KHPower »

2fast4u wrote:Jersey may have the most discourteous drivers of the nation... we are kinda the armpit of America. Any more thoughts on the whole "little tire+pothole=death" theory that my mechanic gave me... gotta admit he kinda freaked me out....
I have noticed that my Honda Elite doesnt take lightly to bumps in the road and can sometimes throw your balance off a tad. I try to swerve the big bumps and if you have no choice but to ride over the bump/pothole ect You got to learn to hit it just right. I personally slow down a tad driving through city blocks because of these obstacles.

If you are worried about safety , stay off the big roads even the shoulders. Ya see it all the time , people , cops getting hit on the side of the road .

A vehicle traveling over 2 times faster than you could just barely clip you and you would go flying.

Stick to the backroads as much as possible :wink: You have to be the most defensive driver operating these scoots on public roads.
" If you kill the Jo you make some Mo"
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I recommend you paint the bike a bright color (if it isnt already one) and mod your exhaust to be louder.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
cardiffchris1
Noob
Noob

Post by cardiffchris1 »

it is true that bigger wheels soak up bumps better. motorcycles have better suspension by far. however the speed and power of a motorcycle increases you chance of going too fast and getting in over your head. id rather bail off a scooter at 30 mph than try to put a heavy streetbike into a full panic stop. stick to back streets and residential areas.