Which scootoer

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

happyman
Spree
Spree

Which scootoer

Post by happyman »

Hello to all! am new tive in the midwesto this forum and have been looking at several forums of other scootors.. just ran across this one and find it interesting..
Looking to maybe try one of these scootors for the heck of it. already have a differant brand that i built a couple years ago and its a fun scoot.. also a 2t.
Trying to figure out what is a good one to look for and the availiability of parts.. i take it the new Elite is not much to mess with with the 4t? seen some slightly used ones that are reduced in price quite a bit.. the 2t are pretty nice to run i think so i am looking to score one. anyway am looking for ideas and all info is welcomed

Thanks Happy
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

If you looking for an all around good bike.
94-01 honda elite 50. Hands Down.
Tons of parts can be bought, they are very reliable (stock and with some bore kits), They look nice, They can be made super fast, Its just a great bike.
Sprees are nice, but there is not a ton of parts made for them. And if you ever want to make it fast, Its almost imposable with out a motor swap from a 94-01 elite.

I have a 96 honda elite and i love it.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:If you looking for an all around good bike.
94-01 honda elite 50. Hands Down.
Tons of parts can be bought, they are very reliable (stock and with some bore kits), They look nice, They can be made super fast, Its just a great bike.
Sprees are nice, but there is not a ton of parts made for them. And if you ever want to make it fast, Its almost imposable with out a motor swap from a 94-01 elite.

I have a 96 honda elite and i love it.
ok so how fast is fast? what do they have for brakes?? one thing i like is real depenadability with fast.. i have a 2t kitted that is pretty quick and fast. have to ownder how tuff it is to fine one of these.. what is the differance btween the 01 and the new Elite? once again all info is great. oh yes my sxcoot is a 73 cc and on a gps it will run 62 mph and that is GPS with no help from the wind and it pulls the hills real nice just want to build another brand is all..Thanks
Happy
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

fast...
Stock 35-40mph.
150-500+$ later 50-80mph+ ( 80mph is a reasable speed. if you go all out and buy a TON of stuff for your bike it can be made faster then that. But i wouldnt ever dare. )
They start at 50cc air cooled. But some people go as far as 125cc water cooled kits.

As for brakes they just have drum brakes, But if you are really wantting to mod this bike you can get disk break kits ( new forks and everything).

The reason i cut it off at 01 is because after 01 they stop making 50cc elites. There are ton of 80cc, 150cc, 250cc elites out there. but if you are looking to tune your up the 50cc is the way to go.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:fast...
Stock 35-40mph.
150-500+$ later 50-80mph+ ( 80mph is a reasable speed. if you go all out and buy a TON of stuff for your bike it can be made faster then that. But i wouldnt ever dare. )
They start at 50cc air cooled. But some people go as far as 125cc water cooled kits.

As for brakes they just have drum brakes, But if you are really wantting to mod this bike you can get disk break kits ( new forks and everything).

The reason i cut it off at 01 is because after 01 they stop making 50cc elites. There are ton of 80cc, 150cc, 250cc elites out there. but if you are looking to tune your up the 50cc is the way to go.

the 50 sounds fun but i don't think i want to go 80mph. i doubt tires would give a feeling of safe let alone other factors.. so how fast is the average one. how fast is yopur scoot. and the reliabiltiy. can you do anything to the newer 80cc elite? i see them ow and again at a not to bad a price.. what kind of rpm do these things spool? as usual all information is welcome thanks
Happy
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

My scoot?
I got about 150$ into mine, (cheap bore kit and gears) and i can pull of 50mph all day long with great take off. As for reliability it all depends how good the cylinder was broke in, brand names, stuff like that.
My cylinder is a CMR bore kit. Its about the weakest 72cc kit you can get, but it is reliable and it is fast enough for me.

The 80cc elites are nice for stock. but you can not upgrade anything on them. (there might be some super small mod i don't know about that gives you an extra 5mph or something. But they are nothing like the elite 50)

As for the RPM thing im not sure. I was going to get an RPM gauge for one of my bikes but it never happened. Some one else might have a better idea. but i personally don't have a clue.

Something else to think about is gas prices. I dont care where you live they keep going up and up. As for my 96, I really dont know the gas mileage.
However i do know more about my 92 elite i have. (very simarl bike, but not as many parts can be bought)
Stock, 60-70mpg
63cc bore kit with stock gears - right about 45mph.

Now with my 96 stock i was getting about 70mpg. The difference is with my 96 i have different gears. Meaning i can pull off better speeds at less RPM's (=better gas mileage then my 92) So im expecting around 55mpg at least.

I just hope im answering everything in a way that is helpful. Welcome to the site. Ask any questions you got.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:My scoot?
I got about 150$ into mine, (cheap bore kit and gears) and i can pull of 50mph all day long with great take off. As for reliability it all depends how good the cylinder was broke in, brand names, stuff like that.
My cylinder is a CMR bore kit. Its about the weakest 72cc kit you can get, but it is reliable and it is fast enough for me.

The 80cc elites are nice for stock. but you can not upgrade anything on them. (there might be some super small mod i don't know about that gives you an extra 5mph or something. But they are nothing like the elite 50)

As for the RPM thing im not sure. I was going to get an RPM gauge for one of my bikes but it never happened. Some one else might have a better idea. but i personally don't have a clue.

Something else to think about is gas prices. I dont care where you live they keep going up and up. As for my 96, I really dont know the gas mileage.
However i do know more about my 92 elite i have. (very simarl bike, but not as many parts can be bought)
Stock, 60-70mpg
63cc bore kit with stock gears - right about 45mph.

Now with my 96 stock i was getting about 70mpg. The difference is with my 96 i have different gears. Meaning i can pull off better speeds at less RPM's (=better gas mileage then my 92) So im expecting around 55mpg at least.

I just hope im answering everything in a way that is helpful. Welcome to the site. Ask any questions you got.
That is good information. i am and have been looking around quite a bit and there don't seem to be many of these used scootors in my area..
When you say you cand do 50 all day, does that meant its wide open or is it a crusing speed?
Can a person hop up a metropolitan or is there a lack of parts there too.
that wojuld be the newer one also i see those now and again. the ruckus is another one i have looked at too. not sure abouit parts other than the variators and maybe clutch, and differant rollers to mess with but no real speed i guesss. heard around 42 mph on a good day wide open.
all info is welcome, Thanks
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

On the Metropolitans and the ruckus i don't know what all can be bought. I have had some people tell me with a new muffler and brain box they could do like 55. But then i also talked to one person who did both things and said he could only cruse at 45. So with those 2 bikes in not to sure. I know stock the metro and the ruckus can do close to 35-43mph pending on how much you weigh.

My speed...
My bike is still in the break in process, i have only taken it 50mph+ a few times. Durning the break in process its not smart to go wide open. Another thing is my bike is not tuned right now, i still have to play with different size rollers, jets, plugs, small things like that, that should give me a hair more once done.
Once my bike is all broke in and turned and ready, 45-50mph will be my cruising speed.

{Battle Scooter Store is the only place i know that has ruckus and metro parts }
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:On the Metropolitans and the ruckus i don't know what all can be bought. I have had some people tell me with a new muffler and brain box they could do like 55. But then i also talked to one person who did both things and said he could only cruse at 45. So with those 2 bikes in not to sure. I know stock the metro and the ruckus can do close to 35-43mph pending on how much you weigh.

My speed...
My bike is still in the break in process, i have only taken it 50mph+ a few times. Durning the break in process its not smart to go wide open. Another thing is my bike is not tuned right now, i still have to play with different size rollers, jets, plugs, small things like that, that should give me a hair more once done.
Once my bike is all broke in and turned and ready, 45-50mph will be my cruising speed.

{Battle Scooter Store is the only place i know that has ruckus and metro parts }
was out and about andseen a couple of elite s versions one is 99 and one is 01. what does the S mean? also what is the top speed on one of these pure stock? and what can you do with what it has to make it go better.. is there restrictions that can be fixed. and maybe swap rollers and maybe the contra spring and the clutch springs to help on the hills and takeoff. also jets and aircleaner. not sure if the exhaust on these things is restricted or not but if it is it makes a heck of differance also the intake. also who has a real great quality build for these . or parts.. is there a cam and or stroker kits that are quality? the nakisil coated is what i like if they have them for these 4t motors.. anyway just checkig things out is all.
Happy
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

OK, 1994-01 elite! it owns listen to dac, they are the fastest and most trusty mopeds of all. they will take out any moped. no new moped can even remotely keep up. these things can take out 250cc bikes. and can keep up wiht some motorcycles. BY FAR the honda elite s is the best bike in the world to me.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

'Elite S' is just the name. any 94-01 Honda elite 50 has the good motor.
Most 94-01 elites are the elite S, there is also the elite sr. but they are the same d*** thing.

Top speed on these things...
25mph or so with all the restricted. There are restrictions on the tail pipe ( A ) and the back of the variator. ( B ). Take these off, and you are looking at 35-40mph with Amazing take off.

As for parts, it all depends what you are going for. Me, i was looking for midrange speeds, better then stock but not super fast. So i got a bore kit,(bigger cylinder, piston, rings ) and a different kit set ( stock gears are 11:1 ratio, meaning, every 11 times the clutch spins the tire spins once. ) ( i got 8:44:1 gearing. Lower gears= higher speeds. But you cant go to low or your motor wont have the balls to push it)
Brands? There are tons of brands name for these scooter parts. The place i get all my parts is VTcycles in hawaii. These guys have tons of parts at really good prices. The best part is fast and cheap. (allot of places scam you on shipping).

( A ) at the top of the tail pipe where it mounts to the motor, there is a washer welded in there. The washer reduces flow making the bikes take off slow. Drill out this washer will return the great flow that this bike was made for. Making the take off better.
( B ) The front pulley system. On the back of it there is a plate they put on there, it blocks it from opening all the way, reducing your top speed. Take it apart, take out this place (3, 7mm bolts, takes minutes) put it all back to gather and you it will improve the top speed to what it should be 35-40mph.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

MySpree wrote:OK, 1994-01 elite! it owns listen to dac, they are the fastest and most trusty mopeds of all. they will take out any moped. no new moped can even remotely keep up. these things can take out 250cc bikes. and can keep up wiht some motorcycles. BY FAR the honda elite s is the best bike in the world to me.
Now a moped that fast or quick is quite a ride i am sure.. not sure how much a person has to do to get one to where its reasonably fast and yet reliable. sounds fun for sure
Happy
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

Dac wrote:'Elite S' is just the name. any 94-01 Honda elite 50 has the good motor.
Most 94-01 elites are the elite S, there is also the elite sr. but they are the same d*** thing.

Top speed on these things...
25mph or so with all the restricted. There are restrictions on the tail pipe ( A ) and the back of the variator. ( B ). Take these off, and you are looking at 35-40mph with Amazing take off.

As for parts, it all depends what you are going for. Me, i was looking for midrange speeds, better then stock but not super fast. So i got a bore kit,(bigger cylinder, piston, rings ) and a different kit set ( stock gears are 11:1 ratio, meaning, every 11 times the clutch spins the tire spins once. ) ( i got 8:44:1 gearing. Lower gears= higher speeds. But you cant go to low or your motor wont have the balls to push it)
Brands? There are tons of brands name for these scooter parts. The place i get all my parts is VTcycles in hawaii. These guys have tons of parts at really good prices. The best part is fast and cheap. (allot of places scam you on shipping).

( A ) at the top of the tail pipe where it mounts to the motor, there is a washer welded in there. The washer reduces flow making the bikes take off slow. Drill out this washer will return the great flow that this bike was made for. Making the take off better.
( B ) The front pulley system. On the back of it there is a plate they put on there, it blocks it from opening all the way, reducing your top speed. Take it apart, take out this place (3, 7mm bolts, takes minutes) put it all back to gather and you it will improve the top speed to what it should be 35-40mph.
Thanks for theh replys. was hopeing to get several replies.. the more the better, as long as its fact and not BS.So now i know bout how good it will run derestricted. now i need to know what it takes to have a 65mph or so elite. maybe some less. not sure how stable these things are at speed and how much money and work to make them safe and stable at speed. i have a moped that will GPS at mph,and its handles very good at that speed. also liquid cooled and a 2t. it s a fun bike for sure.
I did give the folks at hawawii a hollar and they did kinda indicate that the parts for the elite are getting hard to find and expensive and the little 2t stuff is the thing today. although they would do what ever i wanted. i fgess its something to think about . i never did run across anything on the site that would tell me what a good build would be for the elite. ayway still checking things out. thanks
Happy
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

The last elite-s/sr were sold in 02 but the vin will say 01, the next best will be the kimco zx-50 with the identical honda engine last model was 05 next is the current sym dd-50 the engine is identical to the elite-s but not sold on the mainland, my last pic would be the cpi/gtr-50 or oliver.
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

stillspeeding wrote:The last elite-s/sr were sold in 02 but the vin will say 01, the next best will be the kimco zx-50 with the identical honda engine last model was 05 next is the current sym dd-50 the engine is identical to the elite-s but not sold on the mainland, my last pic would be the cpi/gtr-50 or oliver.
Thanks a lot for the info . i have kymco S9 liquid cooled that i did a mild build on and its, pretty dependable,, it does eat rollers is the bad thng but i have no idea how to stop that.. when we do these builds and add hp and rpm and extra spring pressure heat becomes a issue and that tends to wear things out quickly, to my thinking.. i just want to build a differant one now so i have another one to play with.. thought about doing a differant build on the S9 but its what i like now,, i think if i get to much of a build i will be in the race motor area then its not a depenable ride for everyday.. i know i could get it to prolly 80 mph with differant setup and gears but then again at that speed its starting to get scarey . at least for me i am not a young person at 62 i have a differant outlook on the sopeed factor,, if ii want to go fast i hop on my )7 CVO Roadking and spool it i\up to bout 130mph and shut it down.. i did headwork and cam swap on it also a 110" motor so it runs nice too..
Happy