Might be different for every state

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

MariePhotography
BMX
BMX

Might be different for every state

Post by MariePhotography »

Hi! I'm back. After I got GeekMo fixed up I had to put her away and thought about selling her several times beacuse of financial problems. I still have her and here's my sitch.

When I bought her from the guy, who said he used the spree as a pit bike, didn't have a Title or License plate. I do have a Bill of sale with his name, addy, and signature.

Now I've checked a couple websites that check the VIN # for free and There are no Records.

1) Does that mean it's not Registered?

2) Do you think I have to Register it?

Oregon DMV:

Regular Vehicle Titles
For vehicles not falling under Heavy Vehicle or Salvage Vehicle (described in sections below).

Regular Title $55
Regular Replacement Title Only $55
Regular Replacement Title with Transfer $110

Late Title Transfer Fees

Late Title Transfer Fee (31-60 days) $25
Late Title Transfer Fee (after 61st day) $50

Single-Plated Vehicle Fee
Plate Fee (not including registration fees) $3

I'm not sure how to continue..... =/

-Team GeekMo
5/14- Repainted, has speedometer, goes up to 25 mph so far.
5/8- Ordered Speedometer cord and Mirrors
5/1- GeekMo Renamed Grymm
1/21/08- Proud owner of a 1985 Honda Spree.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

It does vary state by state. In North Carolina, there is no registration of mopeds. It's a good and bad thing. You don't have to pay for the plate, sticker, inspection, insurance, property tax (yes, NC has property tax on vehicles...and pets). But it also makes things easy for thieves.

For example, some * could steal your Spree, bring it to NC and ride it around forever, feeding it chain saw oil and running it lean until the motor exploded, and nobody would ever know it was stolen since you can't get a title for a moped here.

So, from where I sit, you have some choices to make. Either go to the tag office and talk it over with a supervisor (forget the people in the front, they have no idea what they are doing), or you could move to a state that doesn't title mopeds. Thankfully in states that don't title mopeds, they typically have firearms laws that are much less restrictive. If I catch somebody stealing my Spree in the middle of the night, they're probably going to catch a load of 12 guage buckshot, and that ain't pretty. I'd have to aim high, too, in order to avoid accidentally putting any holes in my Spree's tupperware.

-aseigler
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I just read up on Oregon law right quick, and I'm afraid you're hosed. Spree is a moped in Oregon, and therefore:

"Mopeds must be titled and registered, but Oregon law specifically exempts motor-assisted scooters, electric assisted bicycles, and personal mobility devices from title and registration requirements."

Definition of "moped" in OR (also from http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/ ... heet.shtml):

A moped:

is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels; <-- Spree meets this
has a seat or saddle for use of the rider; <-- Spree meets this
is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground; <-- Spree meets this
is equipped with an independent power source that is capable of propelling the vehicle, unassisted, at a speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a level road surface; and if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of 35.01 to 50 cubic centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source; and <-- Spree meets this
is equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the system is engaged. <-- Spree meets this too

A bicycle equipped with a power source may be classed as a moped if it meets all the moped requirements and also does not meet either the definition of an electric assisted bicycle as defined in ORS 801.258 or a motor assisted scooter as defined in ORS 801.348. <-- Spree does not meet this, so still moped

(ORS 801.345)

Supervisor or old timer at tag office would know best. My guess is you are going to have to pay for new title/registration+other crap to ride legally in OR.

-aseigler
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

In Mich, i swear its the easiest state to get it registered..and cheapest. I had gotten one from father-in-law and lost bill of sale (all thats needed in mich) So i wrote one up myself and took it down to dmv, costs me 15 bux for three years ...no insurance reqiured.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

same, just a bill of sale a freind wrote, and he never even put it in his name, so i got a bill of sale from neil, that was registered under some guy named robert. they just said ok, here you go, have fun.
Spyk
Noob
Noob

Post by Spyk »

Mine is registered, now in my name and previously in the old owners name, and when i looked up the vin# nothing came up either so i would read to much into that.

Probably the best and easiest way to find out is either go or call down to the dmv and ask them. I live in washington and had to have it registered to drive it on the road. Also I guess it would depend on you intended use.

But like I said either call or swing into the DMV and you should probably find an answer
outofcontrol
Noob
Noob

Re: Might be different for every state

Post by outofcontrol »

this is an old post, but I have exactly the same problem.
I have a Spree that hasn't been registered in 20 years. and it wasn't registered in Oregon; I know that at least.
It doesn't have a plate or a title, doesn't come up on CarFax. I've been to the DMV 2x and they require an MSO or a title to register it. Bill of sale would work if it came up in their system, but it didn't.

Maybe I'll have to get a Michigan title for it and then transfer it. sounds like it's pretty easy there.
we have a house in AZ too, so maybe that will be easier.

Any ideas? JH2AF0608FS149366 1985 Spree in Red.

thanks,
Kevin
1985 Honda Spree NQ50
jguy
BMX
BMX

Post by jguy »

In Georgia, you just get on your scoot and ride. They don't care if it has pedals or not, as long as it is under 50cc. You do have to wear a helmet, though.
'86 Spree
'80 Motobecane 50V
Just Ride
outofcontrol
Noob
Noob

Post by outofcontrol »

Well, the guy I bought the Spree from has owned it since 1988 and never registered it. Then he lost the plate, title, and bill of sale sometime in the last 20 years as it was stored in his mom's garage. This is a true story, although it sounds like I could have made it up.
I finally got the DMV to look at the microfishe and they confirmed that someone in Oregon owned the bike, but they wouldn't tell me the name of the guy (of course). I'd need a bill of sale papertrail back to him to get it registered.

I'll post up if I get this figured out.

-Kevin
1985 Honda Spree NQ50