Let's talk about batteries...

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Let's talk about batteries...

Post by dr.ona »

So...I bought a couple batteries from Walmart about 4 months ago. I did all the correct charging and stuff per instructions. Well one of the batteries has been slowly dying. It's been on one of the Spree's that gets used a lot so it doesn't sit for more than a week or so. My question is this...

How long can batteries sit without use before they go bad?

Are some batteries better than others?

How do I check my charging sytem to see that I'm charging?

Thanks!
Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

Batteries are electrical parts, electrical parts can be a pain in the * as they never seem to do what you expect them to do, batteries can last week, months or years. Depending on who is making the battery different conditions can determine the life of the batt., if there was wet weather at time of manufacturing this can cause batteries to go bad fairly early.

A normal battery will stay charged in a normal moped for weeks without being used but if you are not going to ride for a month store the battery. To check your charging system you can use a volt meter and test it at the battery while reving the motor as far as I know and make sure it has 13+ volts (I'm not sure what it is supposed to be). Honda manual!
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I still have the battery that came with the bike. If I leave it sit for more than 2 days, the battery is dead enough to not start. That's why I got the kickstart gear and cover. The bike starts on the first or second kick no matter how long is sitting, and doesn't have to be kicked hard either.

-aseigler
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

sprees are all ways better if u add a kick start
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I found this Husky charger at a garage sale about two years ago for $15.

It is the best charger I've ever owned. Charges everything from my car battery, to my riding lawn mower to my two scooter batteries. Will never overcharge and tells you what the condition of the battery is.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053

Will top off your winter stored scooter battery in about 2 hours.

BTW: You can get an additive from J.C. Whitney (www.jcwhitney.com) to desulfate your existing battery. This is probably why it is not taking a charge IF your scooter charging system is working properly.

Their #CBR890277 sells for $10